Chapter 9

One hour ago at Central City Tails, Whisper and Tangle were at Tails' Workshop.

"Why here? Why now?!" Tails said.

"Let's cure that rush hour gridlock with Dr. Eggman's patented Metal Virus!" Eggman said. "Ha ha ha ha!"

"Change of plans! We'll get downtown and-"

"No. Stay." whisper said.

"She's right. You've got the important job of researching a cure. We'll handle the evacuation." Tangle said. "We've become a pretty good team, after all!"

Now.

Tails was in his house hiding then he looked out the window to see Zombots and sat down.

"Darn it, Silver. Why'd you have to jinx it?" he said and heard beeping so ran to the computer.

"Yo. Tails! You there?" Sonic asked and he typed.

"I'm here! Where are you?"

"I'm not far outside of Barricade Town. Everything going well on your end?"

"Yes and very much no." he said. "The data from that bio-scanner I gave you is coming in perfectly." he said. "On the other hand, Eggman hit Central City with the Metal Virus just as we got into town."

"Yikes. Hang tight, I'll make a U-turn and be there soon."

"No-no-no! You keep running!" he said. "We need your speed data. It may be the only key to finding a cure! Plus, it'll be a backup in case something happens on my end."

"Gotcha. Still, stay safe."

"Thanks. I should be fine." he said and typed.

Suddenly there was a crash and he jumped.

So he hit the computer and saw Zombots.

"I've got to let you go, Sonic." he said.

"Sure thing. You go be brilliant." Sonic said.

"I'll try!" he said. "Tails to Restoration HQ. Do you copy? I'm checking in."

"I'm here, Tails. How's the cure, coming?" Amy asked.

"It's slow going I have to keep looking over my shoulder for Zombots."

"What about the evacuation? Do I need to send the shuttles now?"

"I'm not sure. I've been zeroed in on my research I'll check in with Tangle and Whisper one of us will let you know."

"I'll tell the pilots to go ahead and prep. Be careful- and good luck."

"Thanks! Tails out." he said with a thumbs up. "Tails to Tangle and Whisper! How goes the evacuation?"

"Oh, you know. Running. Screaming. Panic. Skin-of-our-teeth rescues." Tangle said kicking a car and Zombots away. "It would be so cool if it wasn't so-y'know- horrible and awful." she said hitting more Zombots away. "We've gotー yikes!" she said and dodged one from behind her. "We've got a few folks, and we're leading them to a dock. But it's nasty down here, kiddo. We need you to work on that cure fast."

"Сорy that. I'll let Amy know where to send the shuttle." he said and sighed. "Okay- so I've got most of the structure figured out. It looks and acts like a real "live" virus." he said looking at a screen. "I know Sonic's speed deteriorates the virus's structure, but how? And how do I apply that to others?" he said with his arms crossed. "We can't risk the vaccine being too weak or only partially effective..." he said and thought. "...If I got a sample of the virus itself, that would help considerably..." he said, slowly went outside and heard something to see Flikies flying by. "Steady... Steady..." he said trying to get a sample and got one. "Hahaha! Yes! Miracle cure, here I come!"