xvi

Haerin and Danielle were sitting on the rooftop of their apartment complex, enjoying the rare moment of peace amidst the chaos that had become their lives. The city skyline was bathed in the golden glow of the setting sun, and for a while, it felt like they could forget the dangers that lurked in the shadows. Haerin found solace in moments like this, cherishing and favoring them until they last.

"The sunset is so beautiful." Haerin said, her arms resting on the stone fence. She looked at the tall buildings and cars moving along the highways, taking in the breathtaking view. The distant sounds of the city being a comforting hum in the background.

Danielle, who was standing close beside her, nodded in agreement, "It really is beautiful." She intertwined their hands and squeezed softly, rubbing her thumbs along Haerin's knuckles that had subtle scars on them from previous battles.

"What countries have you dreamed of going to?" Haerin stared at Danielle's side profile, admiring her girlfriend's angelic face. She felt her breath hitch, it was like falling in love all over again. Although she's said this thousands of times, she wasn't lying. Every time she looked at Danielle, her heart raced and her face flushed with warmth.

Haerin gazed at the moles on Danielle's face, marveling at how perfectly they were arranged along her cheek. Her bright beautiful eyes that she could never get tired of looking at. Her hair moving flawlessly in the slight breeze, as if dancing with it. Her lips that turned her eyes into crescent moons every time she showed her gorgeous smile— each moment with her felt like a dream she never wanted to end

"Haerin were you even listening?" Danielle giggled, smiling softly at her. The cat-eyed was so busy staring at the girl that she didn't hear what she was saying.

"Sorry what-" Haerin panicked.

"It's okay, I'll repeat myself. I said that I wanted to travel to Europe, maybe Rome or France. Or maybe Vietnam, specifically Hanoi. It's so beautiful over there." Danielle rambled, looking at the horizon in the process, "What about you?" She asked.

"I don't care where I travel to, as long as I'm with you, I'll be happy." Haerin replied. A faint blush crept up along Danielle's face and she looked over at Haerin. The cat-eyed stared at her with so much affection it made her feel fuzzy inside.

"Why are you so sweet and adorable? Where are these romantic sentences coming from." Danielle giggled.

"Being around you brings the best in me, and your smile makes everything sweeter." Haerin said. Danielle said nothing, she began to lean in instead. 

Their lips met with a kiss that felt soft and electric. Time seemed to stand still as their breaths mingled together. Haerin's hands found their way to Danielle's hips, pulling her closer. Danielle wrapped her arms around Haerin, one on her shoulder and nape. Despite having kissed many times, they still feel a rush of excitement every time.

They eventually pulled away, their foreheads resting together. The two stared into each other's eyes, their looks filled with love and adoration.

Suddenly, Haerin's phone began to ring in her back pocket. She pulled it out and saw Hyein's face and name on the screen. Haerin's eyes furrowed, a knot forming in her stomach; Hyein never called her, only texted. She answered the call and put the phone to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Haerin, it's Hanni! She's gone into code blue, they're trying to bring her heartbeat back. You need to get here NOW!" Hyein said frantically, her voice cracking as she spoke.

Haerin felt her heart stop beating for a moment and nearly dropped her phone. She quickly hung up and turned to Danielle, whose eyes were wide open.

"We need to go to the hospital right now." Haerin said shakily. Danielle's eyebrows furrowed in concern when she heard the fear in Haerin's voice. Without questioning, she immediately grabbed her keys and jacket, which were resting on a table.