xviii

Haerin, her mask pulled up halfway to let the cool evening breeze touch her face, perched on the ledge of a high-rise rooftop. She donned her torn suit, even though Danielle had told her to stay at home and rest. The sprawling cityscape of New York stretched out before her, bathed in a hue of yellow as the sun rose down. The familiar hum of traffic and the occasional wail of sirens served as a backdrop to her solitude.

In her hand, she clutched her phone, staring at the screen that displayed a string of voicemails from her best friend, Hanni.

With a deep breath, she tapped on a random voicemail that dated on the 16th of February. Hanni's familiar voice and loud music crackled through the tiny speaker, filling the empty space around her.

"HEY, I'M AT MINJI'S HOUSE RIGHT NOW FOR THE PARTY. I ACTUALLY B-" Hanni yelled into the phone, but the voice message ended abruptly with a faint belching sound and several gasps. Haerin scrunched her nose from confusion, she clicked on the voice message above.

"SORRY SOMEONE LITERALLY THREW UP RIGHT NEXT TO ME WHAT THE FUCKKK, I THINK THAT WAS YUNJIN. ANYWAYS, I BROUGHT YOUR SUIT. ACTUALLY I'LL JUST GIVE YOU A CALL I KNOW YOUR STUPID ASS DOESN'T LISTEN TO MY VOICEMAILS."

Haerin closed her eyes, a bittersweet smile tugging at her lips as the memory played over her. She could almost see Hanni's bright eyes and infectious smile. The rooftop suddenly felt a little less lonely, Hanni's voice weaving through the night air like a comforting presence.

The next message played. "Oh my god Haerin, Hyein and I are having brunch right, we saw "He Who Must Not Be Named" and he literally tripped over air!"

Haerin chuckled softly, the sound mingling with the distant city noise. Hyein and Hanni's laughter in the message echoed in her ears, a sound she desperately missed. It was these small moments, these slice of normalcy, that Haerin craved the most amidst her chaotic double life.

As she listened to the next message, her smile faded. Hanni's tone was more serious. "Hey, Haerin. I don't usually make these type of voicemails but I know things have been rough lately. You've got a lot going on, but just remember I'm always here for you, always. Don't carry the weight of the world alone, okay?"

Haerin's heart ached at the words. If only Hanni knew how true those words had become, how heavy the burden was now. She blinked back tears, her vision blurring the bright lights of passing cars below. She couldn't bear to think about the day Hanni got hurt, the day that changed everything.

The final message played, Hanni's voice softer now, almost a whisper. "Haerin, I'm in the library right now. I found the book you needed for your AP Chem project. Actually, I'll just call you since you don't respond to my voicemails."

The tears spilled over, streaming down Haerin's cheeks. She missed Hanni so much it hurt, an ache that gnawed at her everyday. The world kept spinning, the city kept moving, but her Haerin, time had stopped the moment Hanni fell into that coma.

As she sat there, high above the bustling city, Haerin felt the weight of her responsibilities pressing down on her. She was Spidergirl, protector of the city, the friendly neighborhood Spidergirl, but she was also Kang Haerin, a girl who missed her best friend desperately. The two identities collided, each demanding more of her than she felt capable of giving.

She took a deep breath, steeling herself. Haerin knew she had to keep going, for Hanni's sake. She had to believe that her friend would wake up one day, that they would be together again, laughing and sharing stories.

With a renewed sense of determination, Haerin slipped her mask back down, covering her tear-streaked face. She rose from the ledge, her silhouette framed against the now glowing skyline. Hanni's words echoed in her mind, a source of strength and hope.