Prologue

The cacophony of the city surrounded me as I made my way through the crowded streets of Candon. I was half running, my footsteps followed a steady rhythm, mimicking my increasing pulse. With each step, I felt the weight of responsibility pressing down on my shoulders, a reminder of the countless tasks awaiting my attention.

"Hey, Scar!"

I turned to see Tyrone hurrying to catch up with me, his laughter ringing out above the din of the street.

"What?" I replied in such a way that he could take a hint that I didn't really want any interactions with him. 

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?" he asked, falling into step beside me.

In my arms, I clutched a stack of books tightly to my chest, their weight a comforting presence amidst the chaos of the city. The titles were familiar—history, literature, economics—each one a testament to my relentless pursuit of knowledge and excellence.

"What do you want?" I asked curtly, quickening my pace without waiting for an answer.

He fell into step beside me, unbothered by my cold reception. "Chill, papi. I was just trying to offer some help tapos sinusungitan mo ako?" 

"Well, I don't need your help." I replied, my voice edged with irritation.

He raised an eyebrow, teasing. "Don't you ever take a break?" 

I stepped aside to face him. "I don't have time for your games. Fuck off, please." 

To all people, why do I have to deal with him now? Now that I'm the verge of breaking down due to all these responsibilities?! Seriously? Bakit siya pa? 

His expression shifted, a mix of frustration and concern. "Shrug off, please." 

I chuckled, nearly tearing up. "Not when there's so much to do. Finals are just around the corner, you know."

He just stared at me blankly. 

I turned my back against him as my mind raced with thoughts of the deadlines, the script, the proposal, and the club's booth. There was no time for distractions, no room for error. Success was not a luxury but a necessity, a goal I pursued with firm determination.

And yet, amidst the hustle, bustle, and indistinct chatter, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at the edges of my consciousness. It was as if something was about to change, as if the very threads of my finely woven universe were about to come apart.

Little did I know that my life was going to crash with another, that my fate was about to become inextricably linked with that of a fellow student whose path I had crossed numerous times before. And that the journey ahead of me would call into question everything I believed I knew about myself and the world.

But as the as the sun began to set and long shadows started moving across the busy skyline, I realized I was on the verge of a fresh start. And, though I couldn't see the twists and turns that were ahead, I knew I'd tackle them with the same steadfast drive that had gotten me this far.

For in the heart of Candon, despite the commotion and noise, my adventure would begin—an expedition of self-discovery, affection, and the everlasting power of optimism in the face of tragedy was about to unfold.

And thus, the tale of Scar began...