Chapter 5

As the afternoon sun filtered through the library windows, casting a warm glow over the rows of books, I settled into a corner table with Tyrone.

My chin rested on my clasped hands as I recall what had happened the other day. 

Recall the way he told me that he don't mind me calling him Tyrone. The way he hushed the war in my mind. The way he comforts me with his words. 

On how he sat beside me and took out his leather-coated notebook to jot my schedule down. The notebook looked expensive, with its sleek black cover and gold-embossed initials. As he flipped it open, I couldn't help but notice how meticulously he had planned everything, even down to the smallest detail. His breaths came steady and calm as he worked through my chaotic timetable, penciling in study sessions, group meetings, and even setting specific times for breaks.

I watched as he made neat, precise notes, color-coding different tasks and highlighting priority items. His attention to the details were impressive. He even set reminders for me to take short walks and hydrate, noting that my well-being was just as important as my academics.

"It's important to step back and clear your mind before diving back into work." he stated while highlighting every tasks. 

I gulped. I shall not recall everything. 

"Hindi ba dapat ay nag p-practice ka ngayon?" I asked watching him go through the arguments I wrote. 

"Hmn," 

"What was that for? My arguments or my question?" 

He looked at me. "Rest day namin. Bukas ng tanghali na ang alis papuntang Norte." 

I nodded fidgeting my pen. "So I will be working with Travis, then." 

"Who?" he dropped the paper, giving me his attention. 

"Travis?" 

"Who the hell is that?" he asked, partly annoyed. 

"What the fuck?" my forehead creased. "Travis, our Whip!" 

He nodded, leaning back in his chair, playing with my paper. "Journalists are crucial for holding people in power accountable. Their safety is paramount."

I sighed, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. "I know. But the death penalty? It's such a controversial issue. There are so many ethical implications to consider. Is it really the right solution?"

His brow furrowed. "Ano ba'ng ipinaglalaban mo?"

"Hindi porket buhay ang kinuha, buhay na rin ang natatanging kapalit." I stated carefully. 

He leaned forward, his eyes earnest. "Think about it, Skye. If we don't have strict consequences for those who target journalists, what kind of message does that send? It tells the world that silencing the truth is acceptable. Journalist ka 'di ba?" 

I paused, considering his words. "Oo, alam ko, pero, what about the moral aspect of taking a life in return? Does that really make us any better than the criminals we're punishing?"

"We need to protect those who are brave enough to speak out, you know." His jaw tightened slightly as he thought. "It's not about being better, it's about justice. Those journalists risk everything to bring the truth to light. If someone is willing to take their life to silence them, they need to know and face their repercussions."

I nodded slowly. "I see your point, but-"

He looked sternly to my eye. "Mata laban sa mata. Puso laban sa puso. Matira matibay."

"But what about the possibility of wrongful convictions? The justice system isn't perfect. What if an innocent person is sentenced to death?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "That's a valid concern. And that's why it's crucial to have a fair and thorough legal process. But we can't let the fear of mistakes paralyze us. We need to find a balance between justice and caution."