XXXXVIII. to stay & to bail

vanraj :

I found myself sitting on the floor of the hospital cabin, near Anupamaa's feet.
The nurses had said sitting closer to her face might cause a problem. I had refused to sit anywhere physically away from her.
I needed to touch her, to believe she was still here.

That the nightmare of losing her was over. She was here, and going nowhere else.
My hand on her feet, I rested the side of my head on the bed, inhaling deeply, eyes shut.
She was fast asleep.
I could hear the ECG machine beep, showing that her heart paced. She had the oxygen mask on. The heavy breathing had subsided, now she was breathing peacefully.
I opened my eyes to glance at her, every now and then, to make sure she was here.

Mahi was under treatment but according to the latest update, she would live. I had not been able to pick enough courage to go and check on her. So after coming to the hospital, I had simply entered Anupamaa's cabin and sat down on the floor, near her feet.
She still had those anklets on. And she had the ring I had gifted her on her finger.
I had not changed my shirt, it was blood stained, but I did not care.
I needed to be here, around her. I had lost her before to my own foolery, I could not lose her again.

Samar had been taken to the narcotics testing department to check if he was drugged. Titu and Kavya had been arrested for being involved in Badshah's crimes.
Sumedh was making sure that his family's involvement in this fiasco did not go out.
Toshu and Kinjal had volunteered into managing the kids and Baa Bapuji.

Kinjal had called up Nandini, Kavya's niece, for Mahi.
I personally thought that was a good move, since I just could not drag myself to visit the child.

"Mister Shah..", I heard as I immediately sat up.
"Anu?", I asked, in a low whisper.
"Mister Shah..", She mumbled as I immediately crawled down to her. The nurses had given strict instructions to me to not touch her face since it might cause allergy.

"I am here..", I whispered, not touching her.
She slowly opened her eyes, to look at me.
Her lips curved into a soft smile.
"Are you.. okay?", She asked.
This was her first thought after waking up? 
I gulped, nodding.
She would know I wasn't fine anyways.

"Others..?", She asked as I immediately gave her all the updates. She shut her eyes, inhaling deeply.

"Stay..", She said softly.
"I will. Always.", I whispered, holding back myself from kissing her forehead.
I went back to where I was sitting.
"Don't... touch my.. feet..", She said, unhappily.
"Why not? If Gods can wash their wife's feet, why can I not touch mine?", I said, forcing a weak smile.
I knew she sighed, with a beautiful smile.

And she gave up on debating with me.
.

sumedh :

I felt like a mess, for the first time in my long life.
I finally sat back at the bar of the mansion, picking up a bottle of beer. Whiskey would be good but I just picked up what was first.
And I took a long sip.

"And you are back to drinking at the tiniest inconvenience.", I heard Dimple from behind.
"Your side business is spying over me?", I asked simply, sighing.
She walked down to me.
"It is an unhealthy escapist habit, Sumedh.", She said.
"Your husband is back from the dead. Care to throw a party?", I asked looking up.

She drew in a deep breath.
"He is your brother.", She said softly.
It stung.
What was I even doing? Being this ruthlessly unhappy because my own younger brother was alive? What kind of pathetic sadistic behaviour was this?

I stood up, looking in her eyes.
"I fell in love twice Dimple.. First it was Kinjal Dave, my Memsaab from Dave Mansion.. but she married my elder brother. Good for her. She is happy.. And the second time.. that I decided to open my heart, I fell for you.", She inhaled deeply.
"The moment I thought everything would be fine and we would marry.. and I would finally have a happily ever after.. My younger brother, your husband, shows up.", I stated, anguished at my fate.

She took a step towards me.
"Oh don't.. don't get me addicted to your love, care, affection.. I-I don't want-"
"Sumedh.. please.", She said softly.

I felt her touch on my cheek, her touch for the first time. It send a strange warmth down my being. I shut my eyes, feeling the tip of her fingers. I stood straight as she edged closer.
"I understand.. what you are going through.", She said gently.
With the love of a lifetime.
"This is not just about Samar.. or me.", She said, "I know.. you are stressed because of everything. Papa killing Badshah.. Mahi in the hospital.. Mummy admitted.. the fact that you failed to protect your family.. I know.."

A tear slipped down my eyes, as I gulped.
Her words were true.

"What do I do?", I asked softly, finally opening my eyes.
"Let go of your shell.. stop trying to act like you can handle everything when you are tired. Everyone here is your family. Everyone loves you.. Everyone knows you tried.", She said. Her words felt like a balm.
She was just making me fall for her, deeper.

"I really tried.. Dimple. I did not want..", I whispered.
"And..", She said, "I genuinely love you, Sumedh Shah."
I looked at her, a little taken aback.
"Even when Samar is here?", I asked as she drew in a deep breath.
"Yes."
"But why?"
"Because I do. I choose you. I-I love you. I know.. this might be wrong.. rather unfair.. that I moved on..", She said looking down, "But I did.."

I stared at her.
"What about Ansh?", I asked.
"I did not think.. Samar must come back home first.. then we will decide. I will be honest to him.", She said.

I gulped.
"Can.. Can I hug you?", I mumbled.
She looked at me, a little taken aback.
"No-no I guess..", I stammered awkwardly, but I felt her arms. They gently wrapped around me, pulling me close. Holding onto me. 
Her head rested on my shoulder.
For moments I stood still. I was not used to physical nuances of affection.

And then I wrapped my arms around her, inhaling deeply.
"Stay, Dimple. Please stay.", I whispered, drawing in a deep breath, inhaling her scent.
I felt her hand caress my back. 
I felt a little closer to "home".