CHAPTER 2

Song: 

Beck - Wave

-----

A pair of baby blue eyes shoot open to the sound of an alarm. A hand silences it with the click of a small button. A heavy groan is let out as a figure sits up from their bed and makes their way to a bathroom. The light flicks on with the flip of a switch and the figure's eyes squeeze shut as they adjust to the fluorescent rays assaulting them. When they open again, the figure is greeted by their reflection in the mirror.

With dark swollen bags heavy under his eyes and disheveled blond hair, stood one, Kenny McCormick.

He moves closer to the mirror and washes his face before examining himself again. He looked terrible. Aside from his eyes and hair looking how they did from the past few days of holing himself up in his room, being unable to sleep, he had faded bruises on his arms and others that hid under the clothing he wore. His gaze travels down to his wrists, where red faded marks bruised and coiled around them like snakes, reminding him of events he would rather forget.

Four days of missed school had gone by, not wanting to return after what he went through. Not wanting to see that person there. But there was only so long that he could stay home before his friends started asking where he was, or what was wrong. That added on with his school calling his folks about missed days didn't help much either. He had been hoping for his final year of high school to just pass by smoothly, but that didn't seem like it was going to be the case. With a groan, he splashes more water on his face, then gets ready for a painstaking day of school.

Body aching while walking back to his room, the events of what had happened still ringing through him sore as he dresses and puts on his parka and bag. His eyes land on a dark purple fabric that was hidden under a pile of clothes in the corner of his room. Memories come flooding back as his gaze lingers on it. He hadn't touched it since what happened, and wasn't sure if he ever would or not again. With an adjustment of his bag, he looks away and heads off for the day.

...

To say that Kenny isn't on edge by the time he arrives at school, is an understatement. By the time he reaches his locker, his nerves have—if not—taken him over almost completely as it squeaks open.

"Alright," Kenny mumbles to himself, "just lie low and keep to myself."

"Who are you talking to?"

The sudden voice nearly makes Kenny slam his locker shut, but he stops when he sees that it's just one of his friends, Stan.

"No one," Kenny sighs, relieved.

"Huh, okay then," Stan says. "Nice to finally see you back at school. Speaking of, where have you been dude? You totally went M.I.A there for a while."

"I wasn't feeling well," Kenny replies, gathering his things and glad that his hood hid most of his face from Stan.

"Oh, well, hope that you're feeling better now."

"Thanks," Kenny says and closes his locker just as the bell rings. "We should probably get a move on so we're not late for class," he suggests, changing the topic to something else.

He was apprehensive, but as long as he didn't think about what happened and just tried his best to avoid that one person, then all would be fine.

At least, that's what he wanted to believe anyway...

...

The morning half of the day goes by smoothly when he remembers that it's because he doesn't share any morning classes with that person, having forgotten about it with his current state of mind. But his worries came rushing back as the afternoon classes he did share with that person, were slowly coming to an approach during the passing lunchtime he was now in.