CHAPTER 11

Song: 

It's Ok, You're Ok - Bonjr

-----

Monday comes and by this point, Stan is back at school, cast and all. A large group of classmates gather around him, all asking what happened and if they could sign his cast. Kenny watches from afar, silently, glad that he was okay, but sad of what had happened to him. There's a moment when Stan makes eye contact with him, and he quickly avoids his gaze and heads off. He needed to avoid him. Avoid him so that something like that wouldn't happen again. Avoid him so that Craig wouldn't punish him even more.

Avoid him, to protect him.

But Stan didn't seem to want to make that easy.

During the whole school day, Kenny does his best to avoid any possible interactions with Stan. Shutting any small window of opportunity that may arise. Which was made partially easy, by how much Craig lingered around.

The feeling is isolating, but Kenny knew this was the best option for keeping Stan safe.

He successfully manages to avoid Stan for the next few days, until by chance, running into him at the store when needing to shop for food. His first reaction when spotting him is to freeze in place, then once realizing that he hasn't been spotted back yet he tries to carefully hide behind the end of the aisle. However, at the very last second, before he can fully hide himself, Stan notices him. There's another short moment of freeze, the two staring at one another, before Kenny abruptly turns and rushes off.

Stan calls after him, but he ignores it, quickly exiting the store. He runs until his lungs and legs burn, until he can no longer breathe. Only stopping to catch his breath, once he's sure he's made it a good enough distance away.

But, when looking back, he sees that he's been followed.

Standing down at the other end of the sidewalk, is Stan. Just as out of breath and equally tired as him. That stubborn fool. Why did he have to follow? Why couldn't he see that Kenny was trying to avoid him, so that he could protect him? Kenny sighs, knowing the reason, but not liking it regardless.

Stan starts to approach, and Kenny readies to run again. But he only makes it a few feet, before Stan grabs him by the arm.

"Can you wait for just a second?" Stan pants, spending what little energy he had left in order to catch Kenny.

"Stan, I can't—"

"I know you're avoiding me because of Craig," Stan states, and Kenny looks back at him, "you're doing it to protect me, aren't you? Because you know... you know what happened to me wasn't just an accident, right?" Kenny averts his gaze and Stan sighs, "Look, you don't need to protect me, okay? I don't care what he does to me, I'm more worried about what he's doing to you. I can deal with having a broken limb or two, I'll get past it, but you... what he's doing to you is far worse. Don't let him control you through me, or anyone else."

"You don't understand Stan," Kenny shakes his head, "what he did... it was just a warning. The next time... next time he'll try to kill you."

"Even so..." Stan says, "I don't want you to go on living like this. Being in constant fear all the time," Stan's grip tightens, "I can't stand to see you being treated like this. You..."

"Stan, please... just let go..." Kenny weakly says.

Stan's expression shifts to one of sadness, before his brows furrow into a more determined one. His grip moves from Kenny's arm, to his hand then.

"Come with me," he tells him.

"Stan!"

"Please," Stan says, his gaze unwavering.