Chapter One

Aaliyah Williams sighed in frustration as she looked at her flat tire with a large glass shard sticking out of it

Aaliyah Williams sighed in frustration as she looked at her flat tire with a large glass shard sticking out of it. The sun beat down mercilessly on her skin, and she wiped the sweat forming on her forehead. Rising from her crouching position, she surveyed her surroundings, finding nothing but the endless stretch of road and sparse, dry vegetation. Sighing, she grabbed her purse and keys, her determination hardening as she began walking in hopes of finding an autoshop.

She couldn't have been walking for more than twenty minutes when she stumbled upon what appeared to be a bar, its exterior lined with motorcycles. The sight was both unexpected and slightly intimidating. Despite her uncertainty, she knew she needed help, so she pushed open the door. Immediately, she was hit with a blast of cool air mingled with the pungent smells of weed, cigarettes, and alcohol. The dimly lit interior was a stark contrast to the bright, oppressive heat outside.

Her ears were filled with the sound of laughter and chatter. Men clad in leather jackets and vests were gathered around, talking animatedly. Some were entertaining women dressed in revealing clothes, while others were at the bar drinking or playing pool. The atmosphere was boisterous and lively, a stark reminder of the world she had just stepped into.

As Aaliyah’s eyes adjusted to the dim light, she scanned the room, feeling a bit out of place. Her gaze landed on a familiar figure across the room. She blinked, hardly believing her luck. "Opie!" she called out, her voice cutting through the din.

The man in question turned towards her, his eyes going wide with surprise. Opie was her brother-in-law, married to her sister. His rugged appearance and the leather cut he wore blended seamlessly with the crowd, but his expression softened as he recognized her.

"Aaliyah?" Opie made his way through the throng of people, his tall frame easily parting the sea of leather and denim. When he reached her, his eyes were filled with concern. "What are you doing here?"

Relief flooded Aaliyah as she explained her predicament. "I got a flat tire a little ways down the road. There's a big piece of glass stuck in it, and I didn't see any autoshops nearby."

Opie nodded, listening intently. "You did the right thing coming here. Let's get you sorted out." He turned to one of his friends, a burly man with a bushy beard. "Hey, Chibs, can you grab the tire kit from the garage? We've got a damsel in distress."

Chibs grinned and gave a mock salute before heading out back. Opie placed a reassuring hand on Aaliyah's shoulder. "Don't worry, we’ll get your tire fixed. Come on, let’s get you something to drink while we wait."

As they made their way to the bar, Aaliyah felt a wave of gratitude.

"What are you doing here?" Opie asked her, placing a cold soda in front of her as they settled at a small table near the bar.

"I came down to visit you, Donna, and the kids," Aaliyah answered, taking a sip. It was a half-truth, but Opie didn’t need to know that.

Opie studied her for a moment, then asked, "How are things at home?"