Chapter Three

Aaliyah let out a frustrated cry as she threw her spray bottle filled with water across the room

Aaliyah let out a frustrated cry as she threw her spray bottle filled with water across the room. "Whoa, what has you all..." Donna began, only to trail off when she saw the state of her sister's hair. "Never mind."

"My curls won't cooperate," Aaliyah whined, grabbing a lone, rebellious curl. "I don't have any of my usual products with me."

"Well, I'm glad I came in at the right moment," Donna said with a knowing smile. "I'll be right back."

Aaliyah watched in confusion as her sister exited the room, only to return minutes later, holding a box. "Here," Donna said, handing it over.

Aaliyah took the box and opened it, her eyes widening as she saw an array of hair products, all her favorites. "I did a little shopping yesterday, and so did Opie because we knew how much you cared for your hair. We got you some things."

"Donna, oh my god, thank you!" Aaliyah exclaimed, attacking her sister with a grateful hug.

"You're very welcome," Donna laughed. "Now, let's get to work on that hair."

Aaliyah sat down, positioning herself between Donna's legs as Donna began to work on her hair. Donna had learned how to care for Aaliyah's hair at a very young age. Their mother had been clueless about how to handle black hair and either didn't have the time or the desire to learn. So Donna had taken it upon herself to learn, ensuring Aaliyah always felt confident and beautiful.

As Donna expertly worked the products through Aaliyah's curls, Aaliyah felt her frustration melt away. The familiar scents and textures of the products brought a sense of comfort and home.

"You always know how to make things better," Aaliyah said softly.

"That's what sisters are for," Donna replied, smiling down at her.

With each stroke and twist, Aaliyah's hair began to take shape, her curls springing back to life. It wasn't just about the products; it was about the love and care Donna put into every movement. By the time Donna finished, Aaliyah's hair looked and felt amazing.

"All done," Donna said, admiring her work.

Aaliyah looked at herself in the mirror, a wide smile spreading across her face. "I love it. Thank you, Donna."

"Anytime, Bear," Donna replied, giving her sister a squeeze. "Now you're ready to take on the world."

Aaliyah continued to admire Donna's handiwork. Her big sister had styled her hair into a chic half-up, half-down look and even perfected her baby edges. Satisfied with her hair, Aaliyah moved on to her makeup, opting for a light and simple routine. A bit of foundation, a touch of blush, some mascara, and a dab of nude lip gloss gave her a fresh, natural look.

Feeling presentable, Aaliyah gathered her essentials: her bag, Donna's laptop, and her keys. As she headed towards the door, she turned to Donna.

"Do you want me to drop the kids off at school?" Aaliyah asked. "It's on my way to class."