Chapter Two

The next day, Aaliyah was up and ready bright and early

The next day, Aaliyah was up and ready bright and early. She had brushed her long, straightened hair into a low ponytail. She applied some makeup, which consisted of lashes, blush, and highlighter, and to top it off, she lined her lips with dark brown before dabbing on some clear lip gloss. Her outfit of the day consisted of a black skirt and a tight-fitted long sleeve shirt that showed just the right amount of stomach.

"Good morning, family," Aaliyah greeted as she made her way to the coffee machine.

"Good morning, Aunt Liyah," her nephew and niece chimed in, their faces lighting up with excitement.

Donna rushed into the kitchen, looking frazzled. "Hey, Bear, can you drop the kids off at school for me?" she asked hurriedly. "Opie's at a thing for the club, and I have an emergency at work."

"Of course, Donna," Aaliyah replied, smiling warmly. "I'd be more than happy to drop these cuties off at school." She bent down to kiss her niece and nephew on their heads, earning giggles from both.

"Thank you so much," Donna said with a sigh of relief. "I owe you one."

Ten minutes later, Aaliyah was at the school, waving as her niece and nephew made their way inside. She watched them go, a sense of warmth and purpose filling her.

"Have a great day, you two!" she called after them, smiling as they turned to wave back.

She hopped back into her car and made her way into town, parking in front of an ice cream parlor. With a loud exhale, she stepped out of the vehicle and began her trek through the town. She visited numerous shops, handing out applications and receiving polite but unconvincing promises of call-backs for interviews. By the time the clock struck 3 PM, Aaliyah was still without a job and feeling a bit disheartened.

Wandering aimlessly through town, she suddenly heard a voice call her name. Turning around, she saw Jax jogging towards her, his familiar grin lighting up his face.

"Hey," she greeted him with a smile, feeling a bit of her earlier enthusiasm return.

"Hey, Aaliyah," Jax said, slightly out of breath but cheerful. "What are you up to?"

"Job hunting," she replied, rolling her eyes playfully. "And not having much luck, to be honest."

Jax frowned sympathetically. "That sucks. Anything specific you're looking for?"

"Not really," she admitted. "Just something to help pay for school and get me started on my own."

Jax nodded thoughtfully. "I might know a place that's hiring. It's not glamorous, but it's steady work. You interested?"