Chapter Six

Aaliyah panted softly as she leaned over to catch her breath, a mixture of exhaustion and elation washing over her

Aaliyah panted softly as she leaned over to catch her breath, a mixture of exhaustion and elation washing over her. She had just finished the dance routine she meticulously choreographed for the dance team tryouts. Kelly stood off to the side, her eyes bright with pride as she clapped enthusiastically.

"You did amazing!" Kelly exclaimed, walking over to Aaliyah and pulling her into a congratulatory hug.

Aaliyah smiled gratefully at her best friend. "Thanks, Kel. I was so nervous, but I'm glad it paid off."

"You were born to dance," Kelly said sincerely. "I knew you had it in you."

Before Aaliyah could respond, Michelle, the captain of the dance team, approached them with a warm smile. "Aaliyah, I just wanted to let you know that your performance was outstanding. You've earned a spot on the team."

Aaliyah's eyes widened in surprise and joy. "Really? Thank you so much!"

Michelle nodded. "Absolutely. Your choreography was fresh and dynamic. We're thrilled to have you join us."

Kelly beamed proudly. "I knew she would impress you all. Aaliyah has such talent and dedication."

Michelle turned to Kelly, extending her hand. "Thank you for recommending Aaliyah to try out. We're lucky to have her."

Kelly shook her hand warmly. "She's incredible. I knew she would be a perfect fit for the team."

As they walked away from the tryout venue, Aaliyah turned to Kelly with a wide smile. "I can't believe it! I made the team!"

"You totally deserve it," Kelly said, giving her another hug. "We have to celebrate this. How about we go out for dinner tonight?"

Aaliyah nodded enthusiastically. "That sounds amazing. Let's go somewhere nice to celebrate."

"I made it onto the dance team!" Aaliyah exclaimed with breathless excitement as she burst through the door, eager to share her news with Donna. She had raced home straight after the tryouts, unable to contain her joy.

"Oh my god, Aaliyah, that's incredible! I'm so proud of you!" Donna replied, her eyes sparkling with pride as she enveloped her younger sister in a tight hug. "But why didn't you tell me you were trying out?"

Aaliyah grinned, a mixture of elation and relief washing over her. "I wanted it to be a surprise. I remember how much you loved watching me dance, and when I stopped, I knew it was hard for you."

Donna's expression softened with understanding. Dancing had been Aaliyah's passion from a young age, a way for her to express herself and bring joy to those around her. Donna had cherished watching her sister perform, so when Aaliyah abruptly stopped dancing and refused to discuss it, Donna had felt a sense of loss.

"I missed seeing you dance," Donna admitted, her voice tinged with nostalgia. "But seeing you so happy right now makes up for it all. This is such wonderful news, Aaliyah!"