CH 1 - Shattered Illusion

Dear Readers,

This is my first attempt at writing a story on Wattpad, and I'm thrilled to share it with all of you. I am still new at creating stories, so it might not be perfect. But I hope you'll still read it with the same excitement and enthusiasm I felt while making it.

Just a heads up that this novel includes some mature content, including intense scenes and intimate moments. It's geared towards mature readers who are comfortable with these themes. Feel free to dive in, but if these aspects aren't your cup of tea, no worries—there are plenty of other stories to explore!

********

As the sun set over the sprawling city of Avalon, shadows stretched across the rooftops, a figure clung desperately to the edge of a terrace of a tall multi-storeyed building high above the ground.

The wind howled, threatening to tear her fragile grip loose. Beads of sweat trickled down her temples, stinging her eyes. The cool breeze teased her loose strands of hair. She could feel every muscle in her fingers straining under the weight of her body. Her feet hung in the air, yearning for solid ground to anchor them. It was a moment of sheer desperation, where every second felt like an eternity as she battled against gravity and the elements.

Below her, the world looked distant and detached. It was a stark contrast to the life-and-death struggle she faced.

Her heart raced, her breaths becoming shallow and panicked. It was as if the entire world had narrowed down to this moment of sheer terror.

Two storeys below, a lavish party buzzed with life, unaware of the tragic events unfolding upstairs.

The party hall throbbed with music, laughter, and the clinking of glasses. The guests were dressed to impress in their elegant attire, and their smiles concealed many secrets and desires.

However, two figures were missing from the party. One hung from the terrace roof, struggling to keep her grip and another—a young man named Caspian Glacier, holding a gun with a silencer attached, pointed towards her.

His eyes glinted with twisted amusement as he watched Liora struggle. With a cruel nonchalance, he pressed his foot down on her hand. Her forehead creased, and her jaw tightened as she suppressed the cry that threatened to come out of her mouth. She wouldn't allow him the pleasure of witnessing her pain.

"Let go," Caspian taunted, his finger poised on the trigger. "Or I'll make sure your death is blamed on your dear husband. After all, this gun is his!"

Liora's breaths came in ragged gasps, as she looked at Caspian's handsome face. Once, she had believed in his kindness, in the warmth of his smile.

But now, as she looked up at him, she saw only the coldness of a predator, using her as a pawn in his twisted game.

"You're not the hero I once knew," she whispered, the words barely audible over the distant music. "You're..."

Before she could finish, Caspian's harsh laugh cut her through her words. "I'm whatever you need me to be," his tone dripped with malice. "A hero, a villain, it's all the same in the end." He shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

He brought the gun to his forehead, feeling the cold metal against his skin, and closed his eyes for a moment. With a steady breath, he brushed it away his gun and opened his eyes again.

"Beg me, Ora, beg for your life," he said. His words carried a weight of both threat and nostalgia. "For the sake of our old friendship, perhaps I'll consider sparing you."

It was a devastating moment for Liora. She wondered if this was the same man she once loved, the one she saw as her savior, her hero. The contrast between her memories of him and the stark reality of the current situation was jarring.