Chapter 8

When I opened my eyes we were in a dank alley behind, what looked like, a restaurant. It definitely smelled like a restaurant from next to their dumpster which was surrounded by a very unpleasant smell. Artemis and M'gann stood by the edge of the alley, waiting for me to emerge from behind the restaurant's dumpster. 

"Hey Hilary, are you coming or what?" M'gann called. 

"Sorry guys, I was admiring the view from behind the dumpster. I'm considering staying back here for the rest of the night," I laughed as I walked to join them on the sidewalk. 

"Oh, whatever," Artemis said sticking her tongue out at me. "So what to do? There's the movies, shopping, people watching, we can get food, or go to the park. What do you guys think is girl night worthy?" Artemis slung her arm over my shoulder and her other one over M'gann's. 

"Haha, okay. How about food first? I don't about you guys, but I've been dying for some Chick-fil-a ever since I moved into Mount Justice." I started dreaming of the crispy, mouthwatering chicken, yummy waffle fries, and creamy milkshakes. 

"Yeah Chick-fil-a sounds amazing! The boys always eat all the chicken whenever we bring some back to the mountain. They should know not to mess with girls and their food." We all seriously nodded at the thought of someone taking our food. We moved through the town, walking down the sidewalks until we found the fast-food restaurant, as we walked I noticed that the town was filled with a lot of people our age. 

"So do you guys know anyone around here?" I inquiered. 

"Eh, not really, I go to school not too far from here, and some people live around here. I'm not really friends with anyone because of the whole double-life thing." Artemis sounded a little bitter when she said that she didn't really have many friends. I felt bad for her because I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have any friends at my school. I would feel so alone. "I mean I know names and faces, but I never actually hang out with anyone." 

"Would it be possible for me to attend your shool? I'm getting kind of bored of being stuck in Mount Justice, no offense I mean." I really wanted to get out of the mountain and actually have something to do everyday, and maybe not get hit on by Kid Flash every 5 seconds. "The rock walls are all starting to blend together and the thought of being stuck with the Flashy Flirt all the time isn't that comforting." 

"I don't see why it would be a huge deal. Artemis attends school and so does a couple other members of the team." M'gann thought about it for another minute. "It would be pretty safe, Gotham Academy has some of the best security in the city. And with the amount of students it should be pretty easy to blend in, but the students are the children of the highest memebers of society. We can talk to Batman about it when we get back to Mount Justice." 

We finally reached the Chick-fil-a and ordered our food and sat down in the outdoor chairs and tables along inside of the town square. The smell of the salty sea water was being blown constantly by the gentle sea breeze. I pulled down my long sleeves over my fingers as I started to grow chilly from the wind, and I could feel the temperature dropping as we sat there eating our food. Suddenly a burst of cold air flashed past us and hit the fountain in the middle of the sqaure. Everyone started running and screaming while Artemis and M'gann sprung into action.  

M'gann jumped out of her chair and into the air, while maipulating her appearance into her white shirt with the red X and her blue skirt and cape. Artemis started shooting with a green mini cross-bow that she must have had stashed in her purse. And me. I was just standing there watching as my friends fought off a dangerous frozen creature. And I stood there. Helpless. 

It took me about 3.5 seconds to register what was truly happening. A boy a little older than the three of us stood in the middle of the square. The boy was laughing as he shot icicles from his iced-over arm. From the brief glance I got before ducking under our lunch table, I could tell the boy was a little over 6 feet, with blue skin all over as if his whole body was frostbitten from head to toe. His hair was snow white with small icicles dangling from the tips.  

"Oh come on girls! Can't you come out to play, stop giving me the cold shoulder." The boy chackled at his pun, but it had little effect on Artemis and M'gann as he kept shooting his razor sharp ice in their directions. Suddenly the table I was getting cover froze over. "Aw, come out sweet thing, I won't hurt you too bad." 

"Junior, leave her alone!" Artemis shouted at the ice villian, obviously familiar with him. 

"Oh please ladies, we both know there's no way the two of you can beat me without at least the rest of the Brat Squad." Junior yankee me into his icy grasp and pulled me close to his frozen body. I could feel his below zero body temperature soaking up my body heat. Suddenly M'gann made a move to try and remove me from Junior's touch, but the instant the ice man saw M'gann's movement he shoved me to the ground. M'gann immediately drew back, afraid Junior would harm me. 

When Junior noticed M'gann and Artemis's hesitation he struck. I threw my arms up in an effort to block his attack, and everything froze. 

And then the least expected thing happened. 

------------

Can we please talk about how hungry I must have been when I was writting this beginning of the chapter? Hahaha. So sorry that I have literally taken forever to post a new chapter!!! I hope that with more school coming I can write more often. Things have just been super busy. I hope everyone had a good Christmas and a happy New Years. 

I've had this chapter as a draft since the beginning of November and just didn't finish it until tonight. 

Comment here if you would rather me publish chapters as I write them or if I should write a bunch of chapters and publish several at once. Either way. 

Thank you for reading!