289 | No Goodbyes

♠︎

ALL THE STUDENTS WERE heading to the atrium for the morning assembly. Max, who just finished packing his things in his suitcase, looked at their dorm room for one last time before turning to Keigo, who was leaning against the door, his arms crossed, and his expression sad.

     "So you're finally leaving," Keigo says as Max closes his suitcase.

     The young heir looks around the room again, and then he turns to Keigo, giving him an equally sad expression. "I'm sorry, Keigo. I wasn't able to bring you back," Max says in a soft voice. "We were supposed to head back together, but I wasn't able to do it. I hope you can forgive me."

     Keigo looks at Max for a couple of seconds before finally showing him a small smile. "But you're going to bring me back eventually, right?"

     "I will. No matter what," Max answers in a heartbeat.

     "Then that's good enough for me."

     Max was relieved at his friend's response, so he smiled and pulled Keigo in for a hug. Keigo wasn't expecting it,  but he eventually hugged Max back, patting his back and mentally telling him that he'd be alright.

     When the two of them pulled away from each other, Max touched Keigo's shoulder this time and seriously told him, "You've been my greatest support since I arrived at this school. Even during PHD's trials, you've been the one to help me the most. I am lucky to have you as a friend, Kawanishi Keigo. And I promise, no matter what, I will bring you back to J.S High where you belong. So before then, hone your skills here, and we'll definitely see each other again."

     Keigo wasn't expecting the sweet message. He was so stunned that tears ended up streaming down his eyes before he could even stop them. When Max sees his reaction, he presses his lips together and hugs Keigo again, holding back his own tears.

     "You have to promise me, okay? You're going to take me back no matter what. You're not gonna forget about me and just leave me here," Keigo practically begs, now crying harder.

     "Yes, I promise."

     Max continued to hug his dear friend, patting his head to calm him down. After a while, Keigo pulled away. He grabbed his handkerchief and wiped his tears away, and then he blew his nose and laughed embarrassingly.

     "Well, we better stop, or my eyes will be swollen for an entire week," Keigo jokingly says, and Max laughs and nods his head, taking his suitcase from his now-fixed bed. Afterward, he turns to the mirror, immediately smiling as he stares at his reflection.

     "You know, you looked good in the Bishop's uniform, but as expected, this suits you the best," Keigo admits, grabbing the infamous peak cap from the desk and gently placing it on top of Max's head. For a quick moment, Keigo felt his heart race as he looked at the young heir. It wasn't because of infatuation or admiration. Keigo was left speechless because for a split second, he saw a president, and Keigo couldn't wait to finally see Max standing at the very top where he belonged.

     "I'm gonna miss you, Max. Say hi to Felix, Ari, and Ervin for me."

     Max fixed the brooches on his collar, and then he looked back at Keigo and said, "Don't worry, I'll even send a video message."

     "I'd love that," Keigo replied. "So, you ready, white uniform?"

     "Ready as I'll ever be."

     "Then let's go."

     After Max and Keigo's sweet farewell, the two finally walked out of their room and went straight to the lobby where Xander, Stefan, Vesper, and a handful of Serfs—who directly helped Max for the past month, were waiting for him.