293 | Surprise Welcome

♠︎

MARCUS GOT HOME LATE after meeting with Hans and the rest of BND. They were preparing for Max's return, which one could assume is this year's biggest event. Not only is Max returning to J.S High after literally saving an entire school, but Kim Hee-joon is also coming back, not as a leader of PHD, but a white uniform and possibly an underling of one of the brotherhoods in their house. Everyone is definitely going to lose their minds.

     "Good morning," Marcus, who's already wearing his black uniform, greets the maids who are busy cleaning the living room.

     "Good morning, Sir Marcus. You're up early today," one of the maids says as the rest of them approach him with bright smiles. The workers in their residence don't particularly hate Max, but Marcus is just much more approachable in their opinion.

     "Where's my father?" he then asks while letting a maid help him with his cape.

     "Master Denzel is already eating breakfast in the dining room. He just woke up a couple of minutes ago."

     "Okay, thank you," Marcus says, heading to the dining room where he finds Denzel Sinclaire having a bite of his baked beans and bread.

     Marcus approaches and greets him properly before taking a seat on his left. While grabbing some warm butter and toast, Denzel looked at him, staring at the cape and wondering why the hell he was wearing such a thing. He was almost tempted to comment about how ridiculous it looked, but he decided to just ignore it as he said instead, "Where's your brother?"

     "Max? Why?"

     "The butlers said he wasn't in his room this morning. Étienne is nowhere to be found as well. Did they not return home last night? I already told him about the risks of going out without anyone guarding him. I can't believe how stubborn he is," Denzel complains, obviously angry at the idea that Max would sneak out at night after what they already talked about.

     Marcus grabs a glass of juice and takes a sip of it, trying his best not to lose his composure because, in his understanding, he's the one who snuck out last night. He wasn't aware that Max hadn't come home either so Marcus cleared his throat and thought of something so his brother could avoid getting in trouble.

     "Oh, didn't he tell you? Max went out for a jog early this morning, and since you didn't want him to go alone, he let Étienne come with him," Marcus explains with a calm expression. He's not certain if their father bought the explanation or not, but thankfully Denzel only clears his throat once and doesn't say anything anymore as the two continue eating their breakfast.

     While Denzel is busy reading the newspaper, Marcus secretly pulls his phone out from his pocket to send Max a message. "You went out on a jog," Marcus texts under the table before hiding the phone inside his pocket again and finishing the eggs and bacon on his plate.

     A couple of minutes passed, and lo and behold, Max entered the dining room looking sweaty while wearing his workout clothes. Marcus didn't know how the hell Max was able to act out his role so fast. Maybe the lie he said about Max going out for a jog was true, but Marcus is just glad that Max came back safe and sound.

     "Good morning," Max greets, wiping his sweat with the towel he's holding before approaching Marcus to give him a quick kiss on the head. "Thanks for the heads up," Max then whispers before looking at his confused father. "How's your hangover?" Max asks before sitting down on Denzel's right. He didn't even give the old man the chance to question him.