CHAPTER 4

PANIC FLOODED THROUGH YELENA'S VEINS AND WITH THE ADERNALINE, CAME THE CALL OF HER POWER, PLEADING TO LET OUT AND TO PROTECT THE SUMMONER. But from who? She wondered. The Black General himself? She knew well that she would never stand a chance against his shadows; never stand a chance against him. After all, she was untrained and unaware of the extents of her power, while he was the leader of the Second Army and had surely had much more experience of battle and survival than a lady born in nobility. To conclude, the young lady would be dead before she even could call her powers forth.

Quickly peeling her eyes away from him, she tried to focus her vision on her intertwined hands and the dark green skirt of her dress. But soon enough, the realization dawned upon her that her quick change in demeanor must have alerted the Shadow Summoner, raising the curiosity brewing in him 

Why are all the strange men looking at me? She huffed mentally, trying to keep her posture corrected and a polite smile. You can deal with the Darkling later, suggested the voice in her head, insisting on focusing on the string of formalities that bounded them at the moment.

Duke Vladimir placed a gentle hand on the back of his daughter, his emerald eyes brimming with pride as she smiled at him and nodded dutifully. Everyone watched as the lady dipped into another curtsy before she took a step back, and then another, before she turned her back to the audience. Young Mikhail had already started to proceed out of the room, followed closely by Vanya whose eyes took in the glamour and gold of the throne room greedily. 

Yelena could swear that her face was aglow with happiness as she saw Viktor marching off, cuing her to join. But that happiness remained only too long before she heard her name being called.

The twins stopped in their tracks, the boy only a few steps in front of her. He turned first, his face pale and concerned and alert, yet the mask did not slip away. Composing herself, the girl turned and took a small step forward as she looked up at the Tsar with whatever confidence she could muster up.

"Moi tsar?" "I wish for you to join me for supper tonight." The court erupted into gasps as whispers spread, making the King frown as he commanded for silence. That was a bold step taken by him, one never heard of. Usually, the suitor had to speak with the father of the bride and ask for his blessings for the courtship. The period of courtship itself was quite lengthy; with strolls across the gardens being the beginning and supper together, in night, being the last. 

The young lady could feel countless pair of eyes on herself, forcing her to steel herself as she tried to word her reply, but nothing came to her blank mind. Glancing at her father, she found him in a similar state of surprise. Quietly and quickly gathering her wits, she tried to put on the prettiest smile she could muster while her mind clouded with doubts. "It would be my pleasure, moi tsar." No, it would be my father's pleasure. The gleaming face of the Tsar made her stomach churn as the uncertainty of her future loomed over her shoulder.

She wondered where she would be at the end of the week if things went on as fast as they were going. Probably betrothed to the king, and then married to him before her family leaves the capital. Saints! Where am I stuck? The prospect of running away from the Grand Palace seemed quite inviting to her. But run where? She wasn't sure. She wouldn't be able to make it to the double walls of Os Alta before they caught her, she knew that much. Such was the iron gaze of her father, keeping his best of children closer to himself. And the best only meant the twins.

Duke Vladimir Volkov saw his middle son a 'useless, dirty prick' who was more concerned with his plans of the night than his family's interests. He would rather find a whore to spend an hour with than sit and put forth opinions and plans for Tsibeya. His youngest daughter was just a token to be used to secure an alliance with another noble family. Eldest would secure the royal family while youngest would secure some other strong family. Mikhail simply did not even exist in his eyes.