BEFORE

"LONG YEARS AGO, ALL THE GREAT SAINTS HAD FORESEEN THE LIFE OF ANOTHER, ONE WHO WAS DESTINED TO DELIEVER OUR NATION FROM ALL THAT WAS WRONG IN IT. She would have hair of molten silver and eyes deep with kindness and her powers would remain undefeated by all the Grisha combined. She would be the damnation for all the sinners and the salvation for our people."

A boy, no older than ten, listened to his mother narrate the tale he had heard plenty of times before, yet his enthusiasm never dwindled. His dark eyes shone under the flickering flame of the sole candle which lit the insides of the small hut the pair called 'home'; at least for the time being. For in reality, there was no permanent home for a Grisha, and especially not for the ones whose powers were unheard of.

"What would her powers be like, mother?" The child asked, curiously, in his own way, urging his mother to continue. The dark-haired lady glared, hissing at him, "patience, boy." But her scolding did nothing to stave off the amazed look of his face, or the twinkling glint of curiosity in his obsidian eyes.

With a sigh, the beautiful lady continued:

"Her hands would summon the most beautiful of powers. She could create illusions strong enough to drive her opponents to madness. She could use her powers to heal or to harm. Summon the brightest of the moon's glory. She would be the Fated Moon Summoner. The only one who would change the nation-"

"-for good!" Exclaimed the boy with the brightest smile. But the smile flattered when he was met with a blank stare and a disagreeing hum. Confused, he queried timidly, "right, mother?" Darkness clouded the features of the woman, who stared at the flame blankly before looking up and addressing her son again.

"It would be her decisions that would decide the end of the tale. Sometimes, a person turns to dark under the weight of responsibilities and expectations; make decisions which cause disasters that span a millennia." She watched as the boy shivered, his eyes glancing at the open window and at the sky, where the full moon shone at its zenith.

"When will she arrive, mother?" He asked, voice small and hesitant, afraid to anger the Shadow Summoner who only huffed, standing up from her place of the ground to close the window to protect them from the chilling breeze of Autumn. "No one knows. Soon, I hope," she replied monotonously, yet her enthusiasm, or rather the lack of it, didn't effect the boy's cheerful mood.

"I hope I get to meet her," he admitted with a grin, fingers gently tugging his dark locks away from his forehead as he quickly grabbed the fur blanket his mother had offered to him. The woman does not answer. Instead, she settled down on the floor, ready to fall asleep as she went to blow away the candle, only to be stopped by her son.

"Mother, please," he whimpered, staring at her with big eyes. "Don't blow it away."

The woman huffed angrily, but decided to say nothing to the boy instead muttering to herself as she shifted away from the light of the candle.

"A shadow summoner afraid of darkness."