CHAPTER 5

YELENA STOOD NERVOUSLY IN THE FANCY STUDY ROOM OF THE TSAR, WITHE BOOKS LINING THE ENTIRETY OF ONE SIDE OF THE HUGE SPACE AND A WHITE TABLE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM, DECORATED WITH GOLDEN TRIMMINGS OF SWIRLS WHILE THW DOUBLE EAGLE SHONE BRIGHTLY. A chandelier hung from the ceiling, illuminating the entire space and providing light to the adjacent balcony where a round table with two chairs lay idly. Fire crackled lightly in the fireplace, bestowing some warmth to the cool office. 

The young lady studied herself in the mirror which was bordered with what she was assuming was real gold, styled into a thick frame with the double eagle in the middle, gleaming under the warm glow.

The green silk fabric draped beautifully around her figure, accentuating her curves while the corset pushed up her bosom. Vines were impersonated by the brightest of golden thread she had even worn, with a lighter shade of green thread used to create tiny leaves attached to those golden vines. The neckline was kept respectful, but the tightly tied corset did it's work of highlighting her curves rather wonderfully. The sleeves of the dress reached her very wrists, decorated in the same patterns of vines and leaves.

Her silver locks were pulled back in an intricate knot, keeping even the tiniest of hair away from her pretty face. The pins stabbed her scalp, but she dared not touch them, fearing that even the slightest of adjustment to bring comfort would result in a mishap she couldn't afford at the moment. Her lips painted a flush red while cheeks appeared slightly pink. She had to admit, her sister had outdone herself in prettying her up.

She admired herself in the reflection, slightly taken aback by the way her hair seemed to shine in the warm light of the chandelier, or the way her blue eyes glimmered, or perhaps the way she looked just ready to accept her role in the court. For a moment, while looking into the image of herself dressed prettily, the lady felt like she belonged there; in a pretty dress, standing in the luxurious study of the Tsar. But the reality came crashing down on her. 

She was a Grisha. She did not belong there. She belonged in the Little Palace, in a kefta. But that was a place she could only dream of. Duke Vladimir would do everything in his power to keep her away from it, even if he was aware of her abilities. 

A part of her knew that she would have been much happier had she been born into a commoner's family and had been  permitted to be tested like the ordinary children were tested by the Grisha testers. She would have lived in the Little Palace, trained and schooled in the Grisha manner. She would have had the chance to hone her skills as a Moon Summoner, discoverer the limits to her abilities and then push them. Perhaps, she would have been close to the Darkling himself.

A shiver ran down her spine as she thought of him. The Darkling. He appeared younger than she had assumed him to be, with handsome features and the darkest of hair she had ever seen in her life. I wondered how those dark hair would feel- NO! Yelena took in a deep breath, slapping herself mentally. How can you think of another man when you are supposed to meet your future betrothed? She yelled, closing her eyes in exasperation. 

But you have to admit, the Darkling is handsome, a voice chided in, making her gulp visibly as she turned to look at her own reflection. She could not deny it, that the Black General was handsome. Quite on the contrary, she was sure a part of her would have happily agreed to marry the Darkling had her father proposed a match. But he never would. For he was the very man who had made sure none of his children were ever tested by Grisha.

The Darkling was every inch of how women would describe a handsome man to be. Dark and curly hair. Eyes so dark that one could never see where the irises end and the pupil start. Taller than most of the men of court. Equal parts of handsome as well as mysterious. Which equals to danger, the logical part of her conscience yelled, but the question was, had she ever been logical? Maybe not.