Little Thoughts

Sage quivers beneath his arm like a trapped rabbit, showing the whites of her eyes. Sebastian wracks his brain for ways he can protect her. "Sage, is it okay if I text my mom about this? I won't give any personal details." She nods, mute. Sebastian pulls his phone from his pocket and taps out a message with one hand.

Sebastian: Hey, we have a situation with Sage. I told her I wouldn't give personal details, but someone might try to hurt her. Is there any way you can reinforce the locks for her door and windows?

He shows her the text. "This okay?" She nods again. Robin answers within a minute.

Mom: Of course. Is she in danger? Her house is open to us until I can. Most likely tomorrow.

Sebastian: Hard to know, but thank you, I'll pass on the info. You're the best.

He shows her his screen, and she slumps against him.

Shane's still studying them. "Sage, if you don't feel safe, you can sleep at my place. The floor isn't the comfiest, but Marnie would be happy to see you."

And despite his best efforts, despite his determination to do what's best for Sage, white hot jealousy unfurls within his chest. A small voice inside him demands, Don't pick him. Pick me. Stay with me. He clenches a fist, the jealousy rapidly replaced with shame. Marnie's might be safer. Sage should do what's best for her.

"That's nice of you to say, Shane, but Robin offered to have me until she can install better locks."

Sebastian tightens his grip around her as a brief burst of triumph flares in his stomach.

Sage's head rests on her knees, her voice weak and cracked. "I appreciate you, though, Shane."

At the sound of her palpable sadness, Sebastian's stomach churns. Sage is not his, not something to be territorial over, especially in a time of crisis.

Leaning back, Shane looks at them both, wearing a slight smirk. "Of course. Offer's always open." His expression darkens. "Seriously though, what are we gonna do if your dad does show up?"

"I'm worth more to him alive than dead, so that's a reassuring thought," Sage says, grimacing. "Zuzu's two hours away by car, but I'd be willing to bet my chickens he doesn't have access to one. Cops took his license away years ago." She spits out a bitter laugh.

"That leaves the bus, which is at least $40 each way and comes on Wednesdays." Sage checks the calendar on her phone. "Which is unfortunately today. Shit."

Her jaw clenches. "On the other hand, I have no doubt he's flat broke, because he can't hold a job to save his life. Last I heard, Mom's working at a gas station to make ends meet, so with rent and drugs I doubt they have anything left."

She draws her knees to her chest, chewing her lip. "He wants to control me, and for me to foot the bills. That's what this is about, after all, the money. He liked having me provide for him. So, if anything, he'd come out to intimidate me into returning to Zuzu. But with his only way here being the bus, I'm pretty confident he's not going to show up out of nowhere."

Sage stiffens as she jerks up. "Fuck. He might mess with the farm to get me to relent. Seb, you were right. Lewis needs to know."

Her phone rings again. They stare at it.

"I gotta answer. I'm expecting a client." She holds the phone as if it's a bomb. "H-hello, Sage Sandoval speaking."

"Hi Sage! My name's Lorenzo. We discussed a potential contract so you could supply milk for my store in Ridgeside. Is now an okay time to talk?"