Here (In Your Arms)

Standing tall, Sage stares at Sebastian's sodden form. Water drips from the planes of his face and body to her porch, a miniature storm to rival the rain just beyond. His dark hair's plastered to him, conforming to the sharp lines of his jaw.

"I'm home."

His voice, so fragile at that moment, cracks.

Sage darts to her dresser, grabs a towel, and tosses it over Sebastian. "Here, dry off."

Blinking, he kicks off his shoes and steps inside. "Can I-"

"Shower first. You stink of wet dog and motor oil."

He laughs, a weak, shaky sound. "Are we-"

"Shower. Then we talk." She presses her palms into his back, guiding him to the bathroom. He looks back at her, a hint of fear clouding his eyes. Sage melts. Aw, geez. She rubs little circles into shoulder. "You'll have to get your own shampoo to keep here. For next time."

Sebastian slumps against the doorframe. "Yeah," he chuckles. "I'll do that. Okay, shower."

With her hands folded in her lap, Sage sits on her bed, listening to Sebastian's splashing. It's a little ridiculous, she thinks, how often they've showered around each other. The corners of her lips twitch.

Part of her wants to be stern, to punish him for leaving on such short notice.

She covers her face as a half laugh, half sob escapes. She can't, of course. He needed to be sure. Sage can hardly blame him for that, even if it hurt.

Robin's earlier presence kept her stable. They gathered at her table, snacking on sliced tomatoes, and mapped out potential renovations for the farmhouse. Sage's savings have grown to the point where she can consider it.

They're planning a real bedroom, with giant picture windows that'll flood the space with golden light. She imagines waking up bathed in sunshine from two directions.

And maybe, someday, Sebastian will wake beside her.

As if summoned, he steps from the bathroom, a towel slung around his waist. Sage stares at his bare chest.

"Sorry, um, do you have clothes I can borrow?"

Her controlled mask cracks into a smile. "Yeah, sorry. Here." She tosses an old t-shirt and a pair of basketball shorts.

"Thanks. Be right out."

No, she can't be too angry. The fluttering in her stomach is far too intense for that. Her heart palpitates, her head spins. It's late, past eleven, and there's something magic, anticipatory, settling over her skin.

Sebastian walks into the room, head bowed. "Hi."

Sage pats the mattress. "Let's talk. I wanna hear what happened."

He sits beside her, their thighs touching. Sage stiffens, hyper aware of his proximity.

"Sorry. Want me to move?" He's still got that skittish expression, like a wary deer.

Briefly, she remembers the first time they ever sat on this bed, so many months ago. She'd apologized to him then, for...what, existing? Yoba . How far they've come.

"Hell no. You were saying?"

A goofy, lopsided grin spreads over his face, then falls. "I'm so sorry. Springing all this on you was a serious dick move."

Shrugging, Sage turns to him. "Yeah, you could've handled that better. I was really fucking scared, you know? I thought you'd rent an apartment and pack your shit up and just....leave. That everything we've been through wasn't enough." Her voice wavers. "But you're here now."