chapter 7 - fox

I know these people aren't here just to sightsee.

The Ringing of the Bells isn't an event most tourists take part in. It's very ritualistic, and most people wouldn't take part in it unless they were citizens of the capital. I wasn't even planning to take part in it.

But then again, I can tell there's something interesting about these people. So there's no harm in me bringing them there. Who knows? Maybe they're on a crazy journey to save the world. Or something. My imagination kind of runs wild sometimes.

Moon snaps me out of my thoughts. "So, uh, is this a yearly thing or something?"

"Yeah. Though the Elder usually doesn't—" I stop myself just in time, and blink hard for a moment so that the flashbacks don't come flowing in. "I mean, he usually doesn't see a lot of people. But the view is nice from up there!"

Moon stops for a moment, but then she keeps walking beside me, while Vale trails behind. "That sounds cool," she says casually.

I grin. "Yeah!" I notice Moon looking curiously at the pins on my cape. "In case you're wondering, my pronouns are they/them."

"Oh," Moon murmurs curiously. "So you're...non-binary? Isn't the Daylight Prairie kind of—" She cuts herself off halfway with an apologetic look on her face.

I try my best not to show any sign of wincing, and reassure her, "It's fine. I'm usually okay."

She goes quiet and stares at the ground awkwardly, too embarrassed to continue talking to me. Vale interrupts from behind. "If this was such a big thing...why are you out here?"

"Oh...well, most people don't like having me there," I mumble, before changing my tone to stay as light-hearted as it can. "But I mean, being out here is probably better than being there with all of them!"

Vale goes quiet, still seeming a little suspicious of me. That leaves us to continue walking in silence, towards the capital.

Soon enough, it emerges before our eyes as we climb up a shallow cliff. The City of the Bells. It's scattered across three islands, with three prominent bell towers on each. There's homes carved into the rock of the islands, along with shops of all kinds. Cloud boat services bridge all three islands. I can see bunting put up for the festival.

"Here it is," I say, motioning to the capital.

"Woah," Moon sighs in awe. Vale is less impressed. Or maybe he is, and he just doesn't want to show it to me. Am I really that suspicious?

I smile at them. It's a forced smile, but hey. At least I don't seem that suspicious now. "I guess I'll bring you guys to one of the bell towers!...if you want me to."

Moon's eyes widen. "Really? Thanks so much!"

I shrug, smiling. We glide down to one of the islands.  The one where the workshop I work at is located. It's probably the least judgy island, which is better for all three of us. As we land, I see Moon's gaze flashing everywhere, while Vale seems to be keeping his emotions to himself.

"Here we are! Now we just wait for them to ring the bells, then we'll be on our way," I say casually.

Moon calls out enthusiastically as she runs over to join the huge crowd. Vale stands behind and smiles at me awkwardly.

"Thanks, I guess," he says softly.

I grin. "No big deal."

Then our gazes flash over at Moon, who is dashing around like a headless chicken. Has she ever been outside of her realm? "We should probably keep her from entering someone's house," Vale says, deadpan.

I laugh lightheartedly as the two of us go over and drag Moon back to the main crowd. Vale manages to trade some yarn for some candied strawberries, and passes them to Moon to keep her quiet. "I don't know why she's suddenly so excited," he says quietly as he watches Moon stare excitedly at the strawberries.

"Maybe it's just the atmosphere," I point out.

Suddenly, I hear the bells start ringing.

"It's starting!" Moon exclaims.

—————
Hi :)
I'm writing these chapters really fast, and I'll probably get burnt out soon. But I'll keep trying to write at least a chapter a day :D
The section on Daylight Prairie isn't going to be really long. (Sorry ;-;) But I promise the section on Hidden Forest will have more action than this one!