chapter 17 - moon

What happened?

I sit there on the cold, hard floor. Not moving. One second, someone finally unlocked the dark cage, and the world suddenly reappeared around me. The next second, Fox was screaming at me and running out of...whatever this place is.

What happened while I was trapped? What did I do, that made Fox so angry at me...?

I hesitate, before stumbling towards the door. The slow stumble soon turns into a sprint, as I push open the door and run into the storm.

The rain slams into my wounds, making them burn. If my minimal wounds hurt so much, imagine what Fox is going through..., I think quietly, biting my tongue. This is nothing.

My feet pound the ground beneath them, parting the grass, joining the rhythm of the rain. I duck into cover every now and then, but never for long.

I want to find Fox, to ask them what on earth is going on.

I need to find them before it's too late.

They could be anywhere.

Suddenly, I see a figure on a ledge, their legs hanging quietly. I hesitate, then flap my cape once, twice, until landing a few metres away from them, under the shelter of a mushroom.

Fox stares quietly into the distance. They've chosen a spot covered by a tree branch. Their wounds have been carefully covered with bandages, including one of their eyes. Did I do this to them...?

I look at them. They seem so lonely, so pained by whatever I did to them. So...so broken. If it really was me that did this to them, I really have a lot to answer for. I suddenly understand why they're so angry.

"Fox...?" I mumble-call.

They hesitate, before turning to face me. I can see their pain in those eyes, as they snarl, "Go away."

"Fox...let me explain, please."

They pause for a moment, before going quiet. "I...I don't know what I did to you," I explain, my voice shaking, "but whatever it was, I'm so, so sorry."

"...what do you mean you don't know." Fox turns away, staring out at the distant sunlight.

"This...you m-might not believe this, but...it-it wasn't me that hurt you, I promise," I continue, my voice starting to break as I take a step out of the shelter of the mushroom, towards Fox.

They mutter, "Sure it wasn't you."

"It wasn't!" I cry. "Please...it honestly wasn't me."

Fox stops for a moment at the sound of my cry. They look down for a second. "I...how do I know this is you?"

"I...because...I'm here." I mumble unconvincingly, my entire body shaking as I stumble forward again. I can feel myself losing my balance as the rain sucks the light out of my core.

Fox goes quiet, and I stammer, "I was...trapped in my own mind. Everything was just...dark...silent...I don't know what happened, but I'm sorry..."

They turn around to face me, before slowly stepping up and pulling me into the shelter. "I don't know if I can trust what you're saying yet," they say, holding onto my shoulders, before pushing me away from them.

Then...why did you save me?

Fox looks away for a second, before muttering, "...but you're my friend. There's a chance that you're really in there...so...I...I'll help you. Just this once."

I go quiet. "Do you still hate me...?"

"I hate whatever did this to me." Fox remarks quietly. "Whether that was you, or whatever you say was controlling you, is still up for debate. Just take it as I hate you for now."

They look away, towards that distant ray of light. "That should be the capital. I'm going to go back to tell Vale. Don't follow me."

With that, they hop off the ledge, gliding softly across that red river to the door again, leaving me alone at the shelter.

—————
hi :D
This chapter is just Fox angst lol. Hopefully it makes the characterisation a bit clearer. I wanted to give Fox a few flaws hehe
also this is the 20th part yay