CHAPTER 2

Years have passed.

I wiggle my cramped toes as the car rides up the ridge. The destination is a village somewhere in Lampang. Sometimes there was a view outside the car window, but there was no room for admiration.

I worried if the long wig on my head was in place, if the fluttering skirt was ridiculous, and if I could walk properly in tight shoes.

Nobody says anything, but I pulled down my innocent skirt several times due to unnecessary anxiety.

In the summer of '22, I was leading a hard life. There were many things that I had to give up from a young age because I was born into a poor family.

Studies, friends and many more....

Since I gave up one by one each time I grew up, all I had left was my mother and brother at the end of my growth.

Until then it was bearable, although it was a minor fault of poverty.

After I became an adult, there were many things I could do, so I dreamed of hope for a while.

I thought I've had nothing to lose, so all I had to do was collect it.

However, even that imagination seemed to be too much.

While taking care of  two children alone, my mother's illness had already settled in the depths of her body.

"You have come very late". The tired-faced doctor said nonchalantly.

As he spoke of the remaining method, he seemed to chew and swallow the word: " But it won't work."

I didn't want to give up if there was a chance, even if it was a very small chance close to 0%. But even that small figure was too expensive for us.

I stopped Charlie, who wanted to drop out of school and earn money right away, and did what I could.

Just when I thought my body, overwhelmed by lack of sleep and unknown work, was about to break down, a man in an impeccable suit arrived.

Holding a photo of a known girl.

It had been ten years since the girl had died.

However, I clearly remembered Jan Aiemkumchai's name.

The girl next door who lived like brother and sister in the seedy neighborhood where she lived when she was young.

I was not particularly attached to the girl because she had a good personality.

It was purely because of Jan's maternal grandmother that we grew up together.

When my mother went to work early in the morning, only young Charlie and I stayed home alone.

A boy could not take care of his little brother.

Jan's grandmother used to take care of us all day. For years, for nothing.

It was a heartless neighborhood because everyone was still struggling financially. Jan's grandmother, who likes to give in that place, was a bit unusual.

Unlike us, Jan had a father, but the family was no better off.

Jan's father was a famous human bum in the neighborhood. He tried to show his face once a month, but it was better not to see even that.

The day the group of bums went home, neither me nor Charlie could sleep until late at night.

It was because the sound of furniture breaking next door was wildly heard.

Jan and her grandmother died at the hands of the miserable man, who came back after a long time, broke things and demanded money, and when the money did not come out no matter how hard he tried, he could not overcome his anger and set fire to the house at night.