Ch 12. One Step Ahead

Two hellhounds were running along the long, dimly lit corridor. Most of lights on the ceiling were flickering, which was strange for a heavily guarded building. All the walls were grey or pale green, completing dull atmosphere of the place. Evan turned right and saw the sign: they got into the sector 2A.

Evan: Keep going, there must be a stairwell at the end of the sector 3B of this floor!

Loona: I read the plan too, genius...

Evan smiled at her sarcasm and kept running but suddenly stopped, as if he saw something, making Loona almost bump into him.

Loona: The fuck you're doing, huh?

Evan: Wait. We're now in sector 2B, right?

Loona: That sign we ran by says that, so...

Evan: There must be the first group of guards, I bet they're around that corner. Prepare for a fight.

Loona: I'm ready

They slowly approached the corner and Evan checked if the coast was clear.

Evan: *surprised* Nothing?..

Loona: *sarcastic* We're lucky I gue... Wait, do you feel that?

Evan: What are you talking a...

He couldn't finish, as familiar smell suddenly made him startle, Loona winced as well.

Evan: Is that?..

Loona: Blood.

Evan: Shit, it stinks so much in here!

Loona: You'd better think whose blood it is... I thought this place was an unapproachable fortress, wasn't it?

Evan: That's the point... Let's go, we gotta find out, what the hell is going on!

Loona: You go first.

They turned the corner and kept walking forward, this time slowly. The awful scent was getting more intense with every step they made. A few steps more and Evan saw the reason of the smell: a blood trail, that led to the door in the distance.

Evan: Oh, great...

Loona: The blood is rather fresh, you know...

Evan: Whose blood is it?..

Loona: Thank you for asking, your question is very important... never ask me such stupid questions!..

Loona must've been nervous as she was behaving even more edgy than usual. She followed Evan, who approached the door and grabbed the handle.

Evan: *whispering* Here we go

He kicked the door and prepared to fight only to find huge pool of blood on the floor. Loona came into the room as well and gasped.

Loona: Fuck...

Evan looked more attentively and noticed several bodies in the corner. He came closer and saw they were dismembered, while some body parts were lying in the same pool. Loona came up to him.

Evan: Look, they were guards of this base. I remember that emblem.

Loona: So... Someone had broken into before us and carried out all this massacre...