Ch 1. Lahabiel

Evan saw the ground approaching and when it was very close, everything became dark. He didn't feel the strike, he just felt nothing at first. Like an endless falling, which felt like eternity. He kept falling and asked himself, what had happened. He clearly remembered, that he was going to die, it was obvious.

Evan: What's going on? Still falling?!

A few moments passed and Evan finally landed on something. He stood up and looked around: endless black void everywhere. The floor was black as well. And no one around. Evan tried to call for someone but got no answer. He walked a few steps back and forth only to find he was ok, no scars, limb fractures or something.

Evan: No, that can't be the truth... Is it a dream? Why would Dan betray me, right? It makes sense now...

???: I'm sorry to break your hope into pieces, but everything around you is more, than just a dream. Have you ever felt dreams to be so realistic?

Evan startled and quickly glanced over his shoulder: no one.

Evan: Where are you? Show yourself already!

???: For your information, I have to do that one way or another. Here I am.

A bright spark appeared in front of Evan. He covered his eyes with his hand for a second. A tall creature appeared in front of him. He could not clearly see all the details but noticed, that it was quite thin, had horns on its head and wore something, which looked like a uniform: waistcoat and dark trousers. The face of stranger looked creepy: like a mask with serious expression on it (smth like that: X_O) All the details of it were minimalistic and emitted dim light. Evan was looking at the newcomer with surprise, when the last one broke the silence.

???: Now you see me. I'm an angel, name's Lahabiel, I'm here because you... uhm... decided to visit us today.

Evan: I decided?! I'm here because some piece of...

Lahabiel: Stop talking. You are on the judgment right now.

Evan: Wait what? Are you talking about that final episode of people's life, which is used to threaten sinners? I don't really believe all that stuff...

Lahabiel: Uhm... Then, who do you think is in front of you? Anyway, I have some more souls to help. Let's start the process.

The angel summoned a piece of paper from nowhere and started looking through it with great attention.

Evan: Something interesting, huh?

Lahabiel: Your whole life, by the way. Hard start, orphanages... teenage... fights... smoking, alcohol... ooh, even drugs... Suic... Ahem! You are an atheist, right?

Evan: Yes, I've been the one my whole life. When life treats you like I was treated, it's hard to believe in God.

Lahabiel: Your opinion is understandable, Evan, but it's the wrong way to turn your face away from God, even in awful circumstances. Atheism never leads people in right direction, I saw that thousands of times. That's why you are here.

Evan: You say it like: "Shit happens", but it's not as easy, you know. My friend, the person who I trusted, betrayed me, THIS is the reason why I'm here. How can I trust your words now?

Lahabiel: Of course, it's hard to do that, I understand you.

Evan: Frankly speaking, you only tell me, that I have to believe during the whole conversation between us. So what then?

The angel looked at Evan with surprised expression. Lahabiel was used to meet such people, but this one spotted his attention. He decided to finish the process quickly.

Lahabiel: Well, listen to me. You had a bad life, that's for sure, but what have you done then? Drugs? Booze? Ending your life, Evan? Don't you think it's wrong, absolutely wrong to treat yourself like that?!

Evan: I was young and stupid. I don't drink alcohol, I don't take drugs... now... I chose the way of conquering the tops, the way of parkour. I was close to death several times, but managed to escape the danger. I did it myself, without believing, which you try to impose on me.

Lahabiel: Then... uhm... Well, you'll like your new home. Trust me, you'll find your afterlife quite similar to your life before death: all by yourself... no believes. I'll keep an eye on you, Evan. Now, good luck...

Evan: You leave me like that? Just "good luck"? What is my "new home"? What will I find there?

Lahabiel: Bye, Evan...

Evan felt his head started spinning, he could barely stand on his feet. He started catching the air and felt the floor under him dissipated.