Apologies

I stared at him with shocked eyes. He looked at me with low eyes, waiting for an answer. "What man?" I said, stalling. I didn't want this conversation to happen yet. He blinked at me, unamused. I sighed, rubbing my forehead. "We're together. Him and I. He hasn't officially asked me yet but that's who I was with last weekend."

I watched the anger and pain fight for dominance in his eyes. It was silent for a minute or so before he sucked in a breath. "Were you sleeping with us at the same time?" he asked. His voice was soft, but shook with pain. I shook my head, looking up at him.

"Him and I have never done that" I said, tracing the design of my bed spread. He nodded, looking off somewhere behind me. We sat in awkward silence for three minutes before he finally sighed. He looked at me, his eyes piercing.

"I won't say that it wasn't my fault you felt the need to find love in someone else but I wish you would have told me so I wouldn't have let myself finally fall in love with you, Cherry" he said. His voice was a velvet whisper now. I stared at him with wide eyes and an open mouth.

He smiled at me before pulling out a pandora box. I gasped and jumped off my bed, shaking my head rapidly. "I can't take that, so don't even ask" I said, fear running down my spine. He only laughed, pulling me down beside him once more. He popped open the box and a beautiful pink jeweled ring sparkled at me. My mouth fell agape once again, the beauty of the ring silencing all other thoughts.

"I was going to be extra this weekend and take you to a private garden that I reserved--" he paused. "I had a whole plan. I was going to walk a certain route with you until we got under the arch that's covered in your favorite flowers and as we talked there, I was going to drop something. When I bent down to pick it up, I was going to stay down and propose this ring to you. Just being my girlfriend though" he said, smiling at me.

I was fighting tears at this point. A month ago this was all I wanted from him. "My point was, this was going to be my promise to you that I was done with all the bullshit I put you through. I'm sorry I hurt you so bad you felt the need to find love with someone else and sex with me, Cherry. I was protecting myself from--" he paused, sighing. "This.. feeling" he finished.

He took the ring out of the box before taking my hand, sliding it down my right ring finger. "I'll wait for you" he whispered. He sent me a small smile that I could tell was full of pain before kissing my cheek. He stood up, walking out of my room.

I was stunned silent with tears escaping the prison I was keeping them in. I sat there in complete silence. What can I do when I'm in love with two people?