CHAPTER 13 ( Travis)

Travis

The next time someone knocked on my door, I was going to check out the window first before opening it. I had been waiting for Blair's call when I'd made the mistake of answering a knock at the door.

Celeste, my friend with benefits, came strutting in wearing her skin tight jeans and a halter crop top. Her boots clicked at the hardwood floor, and she smiled st me as she moved toward my bedroom.

"You haven't called, and I need a good fuck," she hollered over her shoulder, before pulled the halter top of and tossing it at me with a laugh.

My cock didn't even twitch. Shit. I had hoped this.... Thing I was feeling about Blair wasnt more than just a friendship thing. But fuck me, all I could think about was what was wrong with Celeste.

For starters, her belly button was pierced. I used to think that was sexy, but now it seemed she was trying too hard. And her hips didn't flare. When she swayed those non-existant hips, there was no nice roundness to her ass. It was hardly there.

This wasn't going to work. I'd been friends with Celeste for years. Two years ago, we had gotten drunk and slept together, so instead of making things awkward, we agreed that it was ok. We'd scratch each others itch when we needed to.

Only once had we put a halt to it, when she'd gotten serious for about four months with a guy who turned out to be married. She ended it, and we'd gone back to our old ways. I didn't date often. I wasn't available enough for females. They were needy, and after a couple of failed relationships, I had decided that sex with Celeste was the fix I needed.

But things seemed off now. Something had changed. And it was me. Dammit. I didn't have time for this.

"You should have called," I told her, tossing her halter top back at her.

She didn't grab it, but let it fall to the ground at her feet. That confused frown on her face didn't bode well.

"I never call. I just show up. Same for you," she reminded me.

"I'm waiting for a phone call. Its important. I can't tonight."

She cupped her fits in her hands and pinched the pink nipples.

"You telling me a phone call is better than this?"

I knew women well enough not to tell her the truth. So I shrugged.

"Tonight's not gonna work. On not sure when will work. I've got a busy week ahead of me."

In case these feelings that were screwing with my head where Blair was concerned faded, I didn't want to end things with Celeste. She was a friend too.

She reached down and snatched up the top and jerked it back on.

"Fine. Be an ass. I won't be back, so if you want it, you have to come get it." She said angrily.

Oh man. This wasnt why I screwed around with her. Celeste didn't do drama. She was easy to handle. This was drama. I hate drama.

"Sorry Cel, I really am. But I have a lot going on right now. Its not a good time for me. Mentally I'm not in the game."

She glared at me and slammed the door behind her. With any luck, she'd sleep on this and be over it tomorrow. I liked Celeste. I just never liked her for more than a friend.

The sex thing was just better than jacking off alone. I needed to apologize to her, but for now, I was glad she'd left without too much of a fuss.

My phone rang. Suddenly, I didn't care about Celeste anymore.

"Hey," I said, as I held the phone to my earx anxious to hear Blair tell me about her meeting.

"I hope it's not too late. There was a wreck on Thirty One A, and traffic was backed up," her soft voice warmed me through the phone.

"No, its not too late. Who drove you?

"I took a cab. There's a lady Owen knew who lives in Chicago City. She's been work this strip of the beach for about twenty years. We don't have many cabs around here."

She had been with a lady. That made me feel better. A strange man driving her would have made her uncomfortable. I hadn't thought about that. Ibkeep forgetting that she didn't have a car. Wait.........

"Blair, can you drive?"

If she couldn't read, she never would have passed her written test to get her license.

"No." She answered.

Another thing that had hindered her life.

"Next time I'm in town, I'm taking you out on a back road and giving you lessons. We'll study the written test, too."

She was silent a moment. I wondered if she was scared to be behind the wheel. Then I finally heard her shuffle around.

"Ok. I'd like that."

I would too.

"Tell me about your meeting."

"Dr. VanWoodson was nice. He's very excited about helping me. I took some tests, and I'm definitely dyslexic. That's it. That's all that's wrong with me. He said my teachers or my parents should have caught it when I was a child, but somehow it was over looked or misjudged or misdiagnosed..." She trailed off.

I didn't want her thoughts going there. Someone had told her she was stupid, and I knew her parents were part of that.

"When do you start working with him?"

"Monday afternoons. He has to come to Preston Beach, which isn't too far from here. His mother lives there, and he has dinner with her. He said we could meet at the library in town. Then on Thursday aftrrnoons, I have to go to his office to do lessons. He thinks I'll read quickly once he helps me learn to focus on the words. No one has worked with me before, the way I need."

She was excited. As she continued, she got louder and talked faster. It was cute. I could imagine her blue eyes twinkling with happiness.

"By the time you come back, I might be able to read to you," she said, and then I hear a nervous laugh like she hasn't meant to say that aloud.

"Why wait until I visit? You can read to me on the phone when you call to tell me about your lessons."

She was quiet again, and I let her play with that idea a moment. I didn't want to make her skittish, but I did want her to be comfortable with me. Even on the phone.

"You want me to call after my lessons?" She asked.

"Of course I do. If that's okay. I'd like to know how things go."

"Yes, that's fine. I'm.... I'll do that. And when I'm brave enough, I'll read to you."