CHAPTER 3: FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Lando's POV

The Bahrain paddock was buzzing with its usual pre-race energy. Engineers hustled back and forth, finalizing last-minute adjustments, while the drivers went through their routines. I was in the middle of a conversation with Carlos when I first noticed her.

Jennifer Piastri.

She stood near Oscar's garage, chatting animatedly with a few team members. There was something about her – the way she laughed; the way she seemed genuinely interested in what people were saying – that drew my attention. It wasn't just her looks, though she was undeniable attractive; it was her energy, her presence. She seemed so... alive.

Carlos followed my gaze and nudged me. "Oscar's sister, right? I heard she's travelling with him this season."

I nodded, unable to take my eyes off her. "Yeah, that's Jennifer."

"Remember what Oscar said, mate," Carlos said with a grin. "Off-limits."

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered, tearing my gaze away and focusing back on the conversation. But it was easier said than done.

The first race of the season is always a mix of nerves and excitement. Everyone is eager to see where they stand, and there's a certain electricity in the air. As I climbed into my car, I tried to focus on the race ahead, but my thoughts kept drifting back to Jennifer.

The race itself was intense. Bahrain's circuit is challenging, with it's long straights and tight corners. I pushed myself, feeling the familiar rush of adrenaline as I fought for position. In the end, I managed a solid finish, landing in fourth place. Not a bad start to the season.

As I climbed out of the car, drenched in sweat and exhilaration, I spotted Jennifer again. She was standing with Oscar, congratulating him on his race. There was that laugh again, bright and infectious. Before I knew it, I was walking over.

"Nice race, Osc," I said, clapping him on the back.

"Thanks, mate," he replied, grinning. "Not bad yourself."

Jennifer turned to me, her eyes sparkling with curiosity. "Hi, I'm Jennifer," she said, extending her hand.

"Lando," I replied, shaking her hand. Her grip was firm, her smile warm. "I've heard a lot about you."

"All good things, I hope," she said with a playful smile.

"Of course," I lied smoothly, though the truth was I hadn't heard much besides Oscar's stern warning.

We chatted for a bit, mostly about the race. She asked insightful questions, genuinely interested in the intricacies of F1 racing. It wasn't just another fan but who cared about the sport.

As the conversation flowed, I found myself more and more drawn to her. She was easy to talk to, her enthusiasm contagious. But in the back of my mind, Oscar's warning echoed loud and clear.

After a while, Oscar glanced at his watch. "We should head back, Jen. Early start tomorrow."

"Right," she said, turning back to me. "It was nice meeting you, Lando."

"You too," I said, genuinely meaning it. As she walked away with Oscar, I couldn't help but watch her go.

Carlos appeared at my side, a knowing look on his face. "Careful, mate. Oscar wasn't kidding."

"I know, I know," I said sighing. But even as I said it, I knew it wouldn't be that easy to stay away.

The next few days were a whirlwind of practice sessions, strategy meetings, and media obligations. But no matter how busy I was, my thoughts kept drifting back to Jennifer. I found myself looking for her in the paddock, eager for any excuse to talk to her.

One evening, I spotted her sitting alone in the hospitality area, reading a book. Taking a deep breath, I walked over and sat down next to her.

"Hey," I said, trying to sound casual.

She looked up, surprised but pleased. "Hey, Lando. What's up?"

"Just needed a break from all the chaos," I said, leaning back in my chair. "Mind if I join you?"

"Not at all," she said, closing her book. "I could use the company."

We talked for hours that night, about everything and nothing. She told me about her decision to take a gap year, her struggles with feeling unfulfilled, and her excitement about traveling with Oscar. I found myself opening up to her in a way I hadn't with anyone else, sharing stories about my own journey in F1, the highs and lows, the pressure and the passion.

By the time we parted ways, I felt a connection with her that I couldn't ignore. It was more than just attraction; it was a sense of understanding, of shared dreams and struggles.

Butas I watched her walk away, Oscar's warning loomed large in my mind. This was goingto be complicated. Very complicated.