CHAPTER 12: THE RIVALRY

Oscar's POV

The atmosphere at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix was charged with the usual pre-race tension. The roar of engines, the bustle of the paddock, and the palpable excitement from the fans created a familiar and exhilarating backdrop. But today, there was an undercurrent of unease that I couldn't shake.

As I made my way through the paddock, checking in with the team and running through final preparations, my mind kept drifting back to Jennifer. She had been spending a lot of time with Lando recently, and while I trusted her, I couldn't ignore the gnawing feeling in my gut. I had warned all the drivers to keep their distance from her, yet it seemed like Lando was getting too close.

I spotted them across the paddock, laughing together. Lando said something that made Jennifer throw her head back in laughter, her face lighting up with a joy that was unmistakable. It should have made me happy to see her so content, but instead, it filled me with a sense of foreboding.

"Hey, Oscar," a voice interrupted my thoughts. It was Mark, one of the team's engineers. "We're ready for the final briefing."

"Right," I said, tearing my eyes away from the scene. "Let's do it."

The briefing was quick and efficient, the team running through strategies and contingencies. I tried to focus, but my mind kept wandering. As soon as we finished, I headed back out to the paddock, determined to get to the bottom of what was going on between Jennifer and Lando.

I found Jennifer by the garage, talking to one of the mechanics. She looked up as I approached, a hint of apprehension in her eyes.

"Hey, Oscar," she said, her voice a little too casual. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah," I replied, trying to keep my tone even. "Can we talk for a minute?"

She nodded, excusing herself from the conversation. We walked a little way down the paddock, finding a quiet spot where we could speak privately.

"What's up?" she asked, her expression guarded.

"I've noticed you've been spending a lot of time with Lando," I said, getting straight to the point. "Is there something going on between you two?"

Her eyes widened slightly, and I could see her struggling to find the right words. "We're just friends, Oscar. He's been really kind, helping me get to know everyone and making me feel welcome."

"I get that," I said, trying to keep my frustration in check. "But I told you and everyone else that you're off-limits to the drivers. I don't want things getting complicated."

Jennifer sighed, her expression softening. "I know you're just trying to protect me, but you don't have to worry. Lando and I are just friends."

I wanted to believe her, but something in her tone made me doubt it. "Just be careful, okay? The last thing we need is drama in the middle of the season."

"I will," she promised, reaching out to squeeze my hand. "Thanks for looking out for me, Oscar."

I nodded, feeling a little more reassured but still uneasy. As we walked back to the garage, I spotted Lando nearby, his eyes on Jennifer. The look he gave her wasn't one of mere friendship, and it set my teeth on edge.

Later that day, during the final practice session, my focus was sharper than ever. I pushed myself to the limit, determined to prove that nothing would distract me from my performance. But even as I concentrated on the track, the image of Lando and Jennifer kept creeping into my mind.

After practice, I decided to confront Lando directly. I found him in the team's lounge, going over some data with his engineers. When he saw me approaching, he straightened up, a wary look in his eyes.

"Can we talk?" I asked, keeping my tone as neutral as possible.

"Sure," he said, setting down his tablet and following me outside.

We found a quiet corner away from prying eyes and ears. I turned to face him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Listen, Lando," I began, "I've noticed you and Jennifer getting close. I've already told everyone that she's off-limits. I don't want any distractions or complications."

He met my gaze steadily, not backing down. "I understand your concern, Oscar. But Jennifer and I are just friends. She's new to this world, and I've been helping her adjust. That's all."

"Is that really all?" I asked, my voice low. "Because it doesn't look like it from where I'm standing."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Look, I care about Jennifer. She's a great person, and I enjoy spending time with her. But I respect you and your wishes. We're not doing anything that would cause problems."

I studied him for a moment, trying to gauge his sincerity. "Just remember, my priority is her safety and well-being. I won't tolerate anything that could hurt her."

"I get that," he said, his tone serious. "And I promise, I won't do anything to jeopardize that."

With a final nod, I turned and walked away, still feeling unsettled. The tension between us was palpable, and I knew it was only a matter of time before it came to a head. For now, all I could do was keep a close eye on them and hope that my instincts were wrong.

Asthe sun set over the paddock, casting long shadows on the ground, I couldn'tshake the feeling that things were about to get a lot more complicated. Therivalry between Lando and me was no longer just about racing; it was aboutprotecting the people we cared about. And that made it all the more intense.