CHAPTER 11: KEEPING IT A SECRET

Jennifer's POV

The first light of dawn peeked through the curtains of my hotel room, casting a soft glow over the space. I lay there, a smile playing on my lips as I replayed last night in my mind. The kiss with Lando had been everything I imagined and more, but with it came a new set of challenges. We needed to navigate our feelings while keeping them hidden from Oscar and the rest of the F1 world.

I knew it wouldn't be easy. The F1 circuit was like a fishbowl, with everyone knowing everyone else's business. But for now, keeping our relationship a secret was the only option. Oscar's protective nature was already heightened with me around, and the last thing I wanted was to create tension between him and Lando.

A knock at the door pulled me from my thoughts. I quickly threw on a robe and opened it to find Lando standing there, a tentative smile on his face.

"Good morning," he said softly.

"Morning," I replied, stepping aside to let him in. "Everything okay?"

He nodded, his eyes meeting mine with a warmth that made my heart flutter. "Yeah, I just wanted to see you. Last night was... amazing."

"It was," I agreed, feeling a blush creep up my cheeks. "But we need to talk about how we're going to handle this. We can't let Oscar or anyone else find out just yet."

Lando sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I know. It's going to be tough, but I think we can do it. We just need to be careful."

"Agreed," I said, sitting down on the edge of the bed. "We'll have to avoid being seen together too much, and definitely no public displays of affection."

He nodded, sitting beside me and taking my hand. "We can manage that. It'll be tricky, but I'd rather have this than nothing at all."

"Me too," I said, squeezing his hand. "But we need to be prepared. Oscar's going to be watching us closely, especially after we spent time together at the bar last night."

Lando smiled ruefully. "Yeah, I noticed him giving us the side-eye. We'll just have to be extra cautious."

A knock on the door interrupted us, and my heart skipped a beat. I quickly stood up, motioning for Lando to hide in the bathroom. He slipped inside, and I took a deep breath before opening the door.

Oscar stood there, his expression a mix of concern and curiosity. "Morning, Jen. Can we talk?"

"Sure," I said, forcing a smile. "Come in."

He stepped inside, glancing around the room. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, just getting ready for the day," I replied, hoping my voice sounded steady. "What's up?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I wanted to talk about Lando. I've noticed you two spending a lot of time together lately."

My heart pounded in my chest. "We're just friends, Oscar. He's been really nice, helping me get to know everyone and feel more comfortable here."

Oscar's eyes narrowed slightly. "I get that, but I don't want things to get complicated. You know how I feel about the other drivers getting involved with you."

I nodded, trying to keep my expression neutral. "I know, Oscar. And I appreciate you looking out for me. But you don't have to worry. Lando and I are just friends."

He studied me for a moment, then nodded. "Okay. Just be careful, alright?"

"Of course," I said, relief washing over me. "Thanks, Oscar."

He gave me a brief hug before heading to the door. "I'll see you at breakfast?"

"Yeah, I'll be down in a bit," I replied, watching as he left the room.

As soon as the door closed, I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. Lando emerged from the bathroom, his expression a mix of amusement and concern.

"That was close," he said, shaking his head.

"Too close," I agreed, sitting back down on the bed. "We really need to be careful."

"We will be," he promised, sitting beside me and taking my hand. "We'll figure this out together."

I nodded, feeling a mix of excitement and anxiety. The road ahead was uncertain, but I was willing to navigate it for the chance to explore this connection with Lando. Keeping our relationship a secret wouldn't be easy, but I believed it was worth it.

The days that followed were a blur of activity. We traveled to the next race in Azerbaijan, the pace of the season leaving little room for anything else. Lando and I were careful, keeping our interactions public and friendly. But in stolen moments and hidden glances, our feelings for each other grew stronger.

We found solace in the brief moments we could steal away together, a quick conversation here, a shared smile there. It wasn't much, but it was enough to keep the spark alive. Each time we were apart, I felt the ache of longing, but I knew we had to be patient.

One evening, after a particularly grueling day at the track, Lando and I managed to find a secluded spot near the paddock. It was a rare moment of privacy, and we took full advantage of it.

"I miss you," he whispered, pulling me into his arms.

"I miss you too," I replied, resting my head against his chest. "But we're doing the right thing. We just have to be patient."

He sighed, his arms tightening around me. "I know. It's just hard."

"It is," I agreed, pulling back to look up at him. "But it's worth it. You're worth it."

He smiled, leaning down to press a gentle kiss to my lips. "You're worth it too, Jennifer. We'll get through this. Together."

As we stood there, wrapped in each other's arms, I felt a renewed sense of determination. Keeping our relationship a secret was challenging, but I believed in what we had. And as long as we were in this together, I knew we could handle whatever came our way.