i. VIOLET BAKER

CHAPTER ONE:

VIOLET BAKER

NOVEMBER NIGHTS WERE ALWAYS BUSY AT THE HAWK THEATER

NOVEMBER NIGHTS WERE ALWAYS BUSY AT THE HAWK THEATER. Regardless of the day of the week, there was always something going on, and Violet found it exasperating. She and her friend Jonathan Byers were in charge of running the concession stand together, and he was the one person who kept her going.

Violet perched on her stool, her feet resting on the counter, as Jonathan skillfully tossed candy into her waiting mouth. It was a familiar time-killing ritual for them, as no one seemed interested in stopping by their stand. While it was common for people to sneak in their own snacks, Jonathan and Violet defiantly avoided doing so, fully aware of the exorbitant prices of the movie theater treats.

It was another late night for them. Both needed the extra money because they were not spoiled brats like their classmates. As annoying as it was to be where they were, they truly enjoyed each other's company. They have similar interests in photography and music, which they usually do together. Jonathan's little brother is best friends with Violet's cousin, Dustin Henderson.

"The last showing should be done any minute now. Should we start cleaning?" the boy asks, throwing away the empty candy bag, Violet groaning in disinterest.

"Hmph, I call wiping the counters; you get mopping."

Jonathan shakes his head at the girl, this being something she did almost every night. "When will it be my turn," He jokes, tossing his friend a spray bottle and rag. "I haven't seen you pick up a mop since we've worked here."

Violet bends over, gathering her hair and making a messy bun. "I just assume you'd like to be a gentleman, Byers." she teases while wiping down the counters. "Speaking of, would you give me a ride home tonight?"

"You know I wouldn't let you walk." He grabs the mop and walks towards the main lobby. "Only if you annoy me too much,"

Violet laughs, twisting the tip of the spray bottle and aiming it toward her friend. "Get mopping, Byers; I want my bed."

He instinctively raised his hands in defense and slowly backed away, giving the girl space to return to her work. Their friendship was incredibly genuine, characterized by a deep comfort with one another and an effortless disregard for societal norms. They were at ease enough to openly express affection without any misinterpretation, a testament to the deep trust and understanding they shared. Jonathan was fully aware of the girl's attraction to other girls, which only deepened their bond.

He learned it the hard way, as he once had a massive crush on her. She let him know softly, not wanting to ruin her friendship with the boy.

"Jonathan, I... listen. Take it like this: I prefer tacos rather than, um... hot dogs?" She rubs her head, staring at the boy whose heart she was trying not to break.