xv. PERSISTENT

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

PERSISTENT:

THE RIDE TO THE BYERS HOUSE WAS EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE

THE RIDE TO THE BYERS HOUSE WAS EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. Violet was still in the process of understanding her own emotions, grappling with the fact that she had let her emotional barriers crumble around the doe-eyed girl. What made it even worse was the realization that she had allowed a straight girl to kiss her, and she had reciprocated.

Nancy herself was still in shock about what she had done, occasionally bringing her finger to her lips to chase the tingly feeling that was once there while keeping her other hand locked to Violet's, afraid that if she were to let go the girl would do something rational.

As Violet approached the Byers' home, a sense of unease washed over her upon seeing their front door ajar. Nancy's hand gripping hers even tighter only added to her growing anxiety. She hastily abandoned her hand, grabbed her gun from her center console, and rushed inside.

"Violet! Don't do something stupid," Nancy groans as she gets out of the car and tries to keep up with the taller girl who just bursts through the front door.

"What the fuck..." Violet looked around the house while slowly retreating her pistol to her waistband, noticing that no one was home besides paper littering the place.

It looked like a bunch of drawings pieced together to make a map throughout the Byers house, all done on any piece of paper they could find.

"What is all of this?" Nancy slowly asks, taking in the sight before her. Every time she comes to the Byer's house, she is met with a sight she cannot explain.

"I don't know." Violet releases a breath before scurrying the hallways. "Jonathan? Will? Joyce?" She stumbles into Will's room, noticing an eerie drawing on his desk. For some reason, the drawing pulls her in. She knew Will's art, but this was something much different.

His drawings typically featured wizards and dragons, anything related to D&D. But, this artwork depicted a tremendous shadow, reminiscent of a squid with its outstretched tentacles yet bearing a striking resemblance to a sinister deity looming within the clouds.

She almost let herself get too lost in the shadow until she noticed an empty Polaroid cartridge on the floor below her and picked it up in disbelief. She almost laughed at the sight, everything starting to piece together for her in her head as she made her way back out to Nancy, who was overlooking more drawings on the kitchen table.

"Hey, Jonathan and I don't shoot polaroids."

"-What?"

"-It's not his, and it's definitely not mine." She tossed the empty cartridge to the table, Nancy's soft eyes searching hers for answers. "Someone else has been here, Nance."