x. BARBARA HOLLAND

CHAPTER TEN:

BARBARA HOLLAND

THE THREE TEENS EAGARLY MAKE THEIR WAY INTO THE WHEELER HOUSEHOLD. With a note of urgency in her voice, Nancy directed them to head straight to her room, expressing her concern that her mom would intercept them for one of her trademark lengthy conversations. Violet, noticing Mrs. Wheeler's undeniable charm, didn't seem to mind, but Nancy was determined to drag them upstairs to avoid any potential delay.

"Violet? Jonathan?" Mrs. Wheelers' soft voice chimes from the kitchen as she glances at them heading towards the stairs. 

Violet returned to the kitchen with a smile gracing her face, her admiration for Mrs. Wheeler evident in her gaze. "Hey, Mrs. Wheeler. You're looking absolutely lovely today,"

"-Oh please, what a pleasant surprise." She playfully throws her hands down, adjusting her attire with a carefree and spontaneous demeanor, a faint smile playing on her lips.

"-Yeah," Jonathan looks between the girls, noticing Violet lost in a trance at Mrs. Wheeler, so he knew he would have to do the talking. "-Uh, we have a test tomorrow."

"-Hm. Oh, did you go shopping?" She points towards the RadioShack bag in Nancy's hand, curious about what she bought.

"-Oh, uh, yeah. My Walkman broke."

"-Aw!"

"-Bummer."

"Mrs. Wheeler, you know, it smells fantastic in here. Are you making another one of your famous-" Before Violet could finish her sentence, Nancy abruptly interrupted her while shooting an intense glare. 

"Anyway, we should go. It's a really big test." Without uttering another word, Violet was practically swept away by an unseen force, her hand firmly grasped and pulled upstairs, leaving a flustered and perplexed Mrs. Wheeler alone in her bustling kitchen, trying to make sense of the sudden departure.

Upon entering Nancy's room, the door slams shut with a huff, and Violet is met with a fierce gaze that feels like daggers piercing through her. "Were you really just flirting with my mom?"