v. DECEPTION

CHAPTER FIVE:

DECEPTION

THE FOUR PATIENTLY WAITED IN THE BYER'S LIVING ROOM FOR THE ARRIVAL OF JIM HOPPER AND HOPEFULLY THE KIDS. The room was filled with an incessant tapping sound, the rhythmic bounce of Nancy's knee against the floor, slowly driving Violet to the edge of her sanity. With a calming touch, Violet gently rested her hand on Nancy's knee, hoping to quell the maddening rhythm before she reached her breaking point. Despite understanding Nancy's concern for her brother, Violet couldn't bear the thought of being driven to the brink of insanity by the relentless tapping.

The headlights pierced through the darkness, casting an eerie glow on their faces, prompting them to cautiously rise to their feet, apprehensive of the unexpected visitor. With Joyce at the helm, the group ventured outside, and a wave of relief swept over them as they laid eyes on their family, unharmed and secure.

"Mike. Oh, my God. Mike!" Nancy rushes over to her little brother, wrapping him in her arms. "I was so worried about you."

"Yeah, uh... me, too?" He almost questions, causing Violet to shake her head.

Nancy glances behind him, noticing a little girl wearing something familiar. "Is that my dress?"

They stood in a circle, exchanging small, relieved smiles as they gazed at each other. Their sense of relief at being reunited and safe was palpable until Violet's eyes fell on her little cousin, who was desperately trying to conceal himself behind his friend Lucas.

"Hey! Dip-shit! I can see you." She groans, pulling the curly-haired boy from behind his friend and wrapping her arms around him. "How did I know you would be involved in this shit."

He wrapped his arms around his older cousin, relieved she wasn't beating him up for his involvement. "Me involved? Look at you! You're with Nancy Wheeler-"

Violet muffled his face in her stomach, silencing his rant, but she was genuinely happy to see him.

-

Now, in Byer's living room again, Mike is explaining everything they know about the monster they encountered in the woods—a simple drawing of a flea and an acrobat on an index paper.