vii. HAPPY HOLIDAYS

CHAPTER SEVEN:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

IT HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN A MONTH SINCE VIOLET'S ENCOUNTER WITH THE MONSTER. Will was back home safe and sound, and everything seemed to have returned to normal. Violet and Jonathan lost their jobs at the Hawk Theater due to their fight with Steve behind the building, but neither cared.

As the clock struck nine on Christmas Eve, delicate snowflakes gently cascaded onto the dry grounds of Hawkins, Indiana, creating a serene winter wonderland. Clad in a cozy winter coat, Violet exhaled in exasperation as she stepped outside to find her car buried under a thick layer of pristine snow. With a determined expression, she brushed off the snow. The last month, with the help of Jonathan, they meticulously tended to every detail of her car, ensuring that it was restored to full working order. After plenty of hard work, the engine roared to life, signaling that her car was officially up and running once again.

Since then, Violet has promised the boy that she will pick up Will whenever she can, just like she normally picks up Dustin. That was her current plan as she carefully navigated out of her trailer park and on her way to the Wheelers' residence. 

After the tumultuous events, Violet found it difficult to even exchange a few words with Nancy. She couldn't bear the thought of approaching her, especially after learning about her reunion with Steve. Despite the pain it caused, she made sure not to let her emotions show. Every time she saw Nancy, she instinctively suppressed the intense emotions welling up inside her, disregarding the prickling sensation in her throat and the way her heart raced. It was clear to her that she simply couldn't harbor any feelings for Nancy Wheeler.

As Violet made her way down the familiar cul-de-sac, she couldn't help but feel a sense of warmth as she approached the brightly lit house. The entire exterior was adorned with a multitude of Christmas decorations, from twinkling lights to festive wreaths, creating a picturesque and inviting scene that captured the spirit of the season. It was as if every corner of the house had been carefully adorned with the magic of Christmas, emanating an aura of joy and celebration that was impossible to miss from a distance.

As Mrs. Wheeler cheerfully welcomes the girl inside, she guides her to the basement, the usual hangout spot for the boys. The inviting aroma of Christmas dinner fills the air, wrapping around them until they reach the basement, where the distinct scent of pubescent boys takes over.

From the staircase, she listened to the joyful sounds of the boys' laughter and playful cheers that echoed through the house. Leaning against the railings, she admired the scene before her, feeling a deep sense of happiness. It was a beautiful moment to witness, seeing the boys return to their carefree and happy selves after enduring a challenging year filled with hardships and struggles.