viii. BULLSHIT

CHAPTER EIGHT:

BULLSHIT

OCTOBER WAS ALWAYS VIOLET'S FAVORITE MONTH OF THE YEAR

OCTOBER WAS ALWAYS VIOLET'S FAVORITE MONTH OF THE YEAR. The ground was carpeted with a vibrant patchwork of autumn leaves, the air carried a refreshing crispness, and the absence of annoying pollen made it perfect sweater weather. For the girl, October embodied a sense of being fully alive.

A year had passed since the haunting events in Hawkins, Indiana. Violet wished she could convince herself that she had moved on, projecting a facade of toughness. But deep down, she was still reeling from the trauma. Each night, as she closed her eyes, she found herself back in that terrifying place with the monstrous creature. Nancy's anguished cries echoed in her mind like haunting specters, becoming unbearable. The guilt gnawed at her conscience like a relentless predator, especially over Barbara's tragic demise. The weight of these memories had truly left her traumatized.

After enduring a prolonged period of unemployment, she found herself with no alternative but to turn to drug dealing. Teaming up with Eddie Munson, a fellow trailer park resident, they formed a partnership where he provided the supply and she handled the sales. Despite the modest earnings, it was enough to sustain the upkeep of Violet's trailer.

Violet hadn't seen her mother in nearly six months. Their relationship had always been distant and strained, so Violet claimed she didn't care. Still, the truth was that she felt a mix of anger and disappointment towards her mother for leaving her with so many responsibilities. Despite her aunt Claudia's repeated offers for Violet to move in with them, Violet couldn't bear the thought of burdening her aunt with her troubles. She couldn't shake the feeling that Claudia only offered out of guilt for her sister's actions, even though she shouldn't have felt obligated to do so. Violet's mother had made her own choices and decided to abandon her daughter. Despite her disdain for her mother's lifestyle, Violet couldn't help but realize that she was heading down a similar destructive path.

Despite his disapproval of her current lifestyle, she and Jonathan were still very close. He couldn't abandon the girl because she had put her life on the line for him multiple times, showing unwavering loyalty. Jonathan understood that she was going through a tough time with everything happening at home and empathized with her struggles. He felt fortunate to have Joyce, a remarkable and independent woman who would do anything for her boys. Despite Joyce treating her like one of her own, Violet couldn't shake off her feelings of envy for their close-knit relationship. Deep down, she longed for her own mother to make an effort to have a meaningful relationship with her.

As dusk fell on the day before Halloween, the hallways of Hawkins High School were cheerfully adorned with a haphazard display of decorations. The bell had just rung, signaling the end of the one class of the day that Violet Baker shared with Nancy Wheeler. Throughout the class, Violet would perch in the back and steal admiring glances at her. Nancy had recently chopped her hair to a chic shoulder-length style, and Violet found herself entranced by the striking transformation. The new hairdo seemed to radiate a sense of confidence and independence that captivated Violet's attention.