xi. how's your coffee?

݁₊ ⊹

. ݁₊ ⊹ . ݁˖ . ݁

Yawning, I smoothened a job-offering poster against the display glass of our cafe and tapped its four corners.

After finishing my job, the doorbell chimed as I entered inside. Another yawn escaped my lips.

“Done, Dad,” I mumbled.

“Woah,” His eyes landed on my dark circles. “You look like a panda, how much sleep did you get last night?”

“One,” I replied, making my way behind the counter and beginning to brew a cup of coffee for myself. “And Taiga woke me up at five in the morning to go jogging.”

“So, you really did study like I told you to!” He said cheerfully, laughing as he crouched to restock some cheesecake onto the display glass.

"Yeah."

"You even stay up that long!"

"Hmm.." I nodded.

"But, health is more important, okay? Next time get a good amount of sleep." He continued. "So did you used chat GPT to help you with your studies like I said? Is it really helpful like my friend told me?"

I nodded again.

I had no intention of telling him instead of studying, I had been flirting with that chat GPT all night.

Taiga would be proud of me but I forgot to tell him that.

“Anyway,” Dad started wiping the counter desk clean. “[Older Brother's Name] will be staying here, he’ll be joining your school too.”

I almost choke on my drink. “Why? Did something happen?”

“You bet! But I don’t exactly know what happens-”

The doorbell chimed, catching our attention.

“Ah, I saw the job poster and I would like to work here.”

The blonde boy and I made eye contact before giving each other a dirty look.

“YOU!” We both said at the same time.

“The hell you're doing here Egghead?” I huffed.

Ryo's expression shifted into a boring one then he held out the poster, tapping his finger at it in an obviously-duh manner.

Dad beamed at the boy. “Welcome, welcome, you’re the one who helped save those pets with [Name] right?”

Much to my annoyance Ryo was given the job and an hour later, Dad went out to grab a few necessities, leaving him and me alone. For some reason, we couldn’t stop exchanging dirty looks with each other from time to time while we worked on our chores.

“So…where’s ya boyfriend?” He finally struck up a conversation, wiping the wet cup dry.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” I sighed, gripping my mop stick. “Also why do you care?”