Remnants of the Great War [34]

PARAGON

Remnants of the Great War Arc [34]

Chapter 43 : Aaron and Azett

___

Land of Rota - East of Cameran Palace

Ash watched from the shadows of the forest as the two legends clashed. Sir Aaron wielded a sword of pure Aura, and alongside his own Mega Lucario, they danced against AZ and his jagged slab-like Plate-blade. Ash recognized it immediately, similar in appearance as it was to the Electric Plate when he'd first found it, yet AZ swung it as easily as he would a baseball bat. He cleaved through the air, leaving blinding sparks in his wake, snarling like an animal as he advanced on his opponents.

Lucario jumped and caught the blade between his iron paws, and Aaron ducked beneath him to deliver a strike on AZ's thigh. But the giant didn't falter in the slightest, leaping and pressing his forearm against the edge of the blade, before bringing his full weight down it, crushing Lucario into the ground. The jackal's eyes went white as he vomited spittle. But Aaron swiftly followed up with a flurry of gleaming thrusts, forcing AZ back.

Sir Aaron's pokémon littered the battlefield, unconscious, and Ash could only think of one reason why. Sir Aaron hasn't even had time to recall them. The battle playing out before him was unlike anything he'd ever seen, barring literal fantasy. This clash existed so far outside the realm of traditional pokémon battles that Ash wasn't even sure how to intrude upon it. Every time their swords met, a furious clang like a gong from an enormous bell echoed outward.

As Sir Aaron sidestepped a downward slash, dodging only by a hair, he peppered AZ's side with a storm of cuts, his arm moving so fast his sword was nothing but an azure blur in Ash's eyes. AZ tried to beat him back with the flat of his sword, but Aaron simply dodged again, seemingly floating out of the way to deliver another series of attacks to his other side.

Sir Aaron is too fast for him. His attacks aren't doing as much damage, but if he keeps this up...

AZ roared, and as Aaron rounded into his blind spot, AZ's fist shot out and grabbed Aaron by the neck without him even needing to look. The Guardian King grimaced, and AZ eyes shined with homicidal intent as he hefted his blade high above his head. The rain glinted against its surface, refracting its crystalline light across Aaron's face. The Guardian King grit his teeth and moved his sword in front of him just as the Plate-blade came screaming down. A vicious trail of white light followed, and Ash saw Aaron crumple beneath the effulgent arc. His sword shattered and detonated, and a massive explosion blasted the two men apart. AZ remained rooted in place, but Aaron went tumbling back across the grass in a column of wind. He rolled to a stop and grunted.

Sweat dripped down Ash's face and a lance of anxiety bled through his heart. His attacks are faster, but AZ's are stronger... As Aaron got to his feet, he clutched his head with his hand. When he pulled it away, Ash's eyes widened. "Impossible..." he said aloud.

Sir Aaron's hand was red, and blood dripped from a gash on his forehead. He too stared at it for a few moments, before glancing back up at AZ.

AZ buried his sword in the ground and grinned. "Did you think that just because your body is made of Aura that you could not bleed?" He laughed mockingly. "I'll make you remember you're still mortal!" He picked up his sword again and began sauntering toward Aaron.

Lucario peeled himself from the ground, shaking off dirt and soil, but AZ paid him no mind.

Now is the time, young one.