Hisui Incursion [2]

PARAGON

Hisui Incursion Arc [2]

Chapter 54 : The Sanctuary

___

"Smuggle?" Ash asked, his gaze still fixed on the settlement below. "Can't we just walk in through the front door?"

Laventon chuckled nervously. "We could, in theory. But...outsiders aren't exactly welcome. It'd be far easier to sneak you all inside and spare you the misfortune that usually befalls those who arrive here seeking refuge."

"Five hundred years have passed and they still haven't let it go," Akari grumbled, and her Staravia squawked noisily.

Laventon sighed. "After the end of the Great War, a number of survivors displaced by the destruction sailed north seeking refuge in Hisui," he explained. "Our home was almost overrun many times. Our predecessors tried to take in as many as they could, but there were simply too many, and eventually, they had to be repelled by force, lest the entire settlement collapse."

"That's terrible," Riley said flatly. "For both sides."

Akari's face hardened. "We did what had to be done then. But even now, they won't accept outsiders."

"Our ancestors carved this place out of nothing," Rei said, sounding serious. "If we let it fall to the horde, all their effort will have been for nothing."

"The horde doesn't exist anymore," Akari countered. "Everyone still just lives in fear of the Great War."

Laventon nodded. "Sound arguments from the both of you. But I think you all dropped in at a particularly unfortunate time," he said, turning to face Ash, Sabrina, and Riley. "The rift above Mount Coronet has had everyone more on edge as of late, and winter is almost upon us. Food will be scarcer than ever, and I doubt they'd be keen on having to feed not just one, but three more mouths."

Ash's brows furrowed. This truly was a completely different time. The shadow of the Great War still hung over a land as remote as Hisui, which was separate from the rest of the world. And this post-apocalyptic reality was hitting him far faster than he'd expected it to. Under other circumstances, he might have found this whole ordeal fascinating, but now that he was living in it, he was finding it difficult to appreciate the novelty.

"Now then, I will have to request you hide your Pikachu," Laventon said, eyeing the electric mouse warily. "I'm afraid that's non-negotiable. People are one thing, but pokémon..."

Pikachu cooed in dismay and Ash nodded. "I understand. I'll keep him hidden." Since he didn't have Pikachu's pokéball, he unzipped his jacket and nudged his partner inside. Luckily, Pikachu didn't protest, and he zipped his jacket back up, savoring the warmth the mouse provided.

Laventon didn't look terribly satisfied, but he nodded all the same. "Now, then. I think we'll have Rei and I distract the gate guards while Akari leads our new friends to my abode," Laventon said. "The fog is thick enough that they won't have spotted us yet, so head back down the other side of the hill and sneak through the tall grass as we usually do."

Akari frowned, hesitant. "Are you sure about this, Professor? Our way in is..."

"I know, I know. They'll learn of our secret entrance. But what other choice do we have?" Laventon's dark eyes glimmered mischievously. "Plus, this puts them in our debt, does it not?" He glanced at Ash and smiled.

Akari tilted her head, but the professor didn't budge. Sighing, she shrugged. "I'll trust you, Professor."

"That's my girl! Now, hurry along. Spry as these young ones appear to be, catching cold will mean death all the same in this Hisuian winter."