Remnants of the Great War [29]

PARAGON

Remnants of the Great War Arc [29]

Chapter 38 : Jackaline Avatar

___

Land of Rota - West of the Town of Rota

"Please run with us, Sir Riley!"

The young Guardian ignored his comrade as he mounted Aerodactyl, heaving himself onto his hardened skin with a grunt. Although he was fast, Aerodactyl's stone body did not make a very comfortable cushion. "I can't do that," he said curtly.

"But that...thing has already destroyed our ranks! This battle is unsalvageable!" As the Guardian spoke, he trembled where he stood, clearly eager to get away as soon as possible. The only thing that kept him was his respect for Riley.

"That's why it's even more important that I take it on here. If left unchecked, that Dragalge could tip the scales on every one of our fronts, until only the Palace remained." He looked over at his fellow, meeting his eyes. "If you're going to run, take as many as you can with you. I fear this entire battlefield may not be spared."

The Guardian gulped and nodded. "Best of luck to you, Sir," he said, before turning and running toward a pair of fallen Guardians. He checked them, and at his arrival, the pair tried to lift themselves. As the Guardian lifted one's arm over his shoulder, another Guardian ran over to help, and together, they all limped away slowly.

Riley refocused his attention on the rest of the valley. Dragalge's Dragon Pulse had melted their defense, carving lines of destruction across the grass and sending the Guardians scattered. There was little they could do as AZ's acolytes ran them down from behind while they carried their wounded away from the battlefield. So much death... So much blood spilled... Riley closed his eyes. May you all find rest in the roots of the Tree of Beginning. He looked back up at Dragalge, rotten and terrible, hanging where it was in the sky. When this is over, let us speak again in the aether of Aura.

As he kicked Aerodactyl's sides, he recalled Lucario. "Hyeah! Take to the skies, Aerodactyl!"

The megalithic dinosaur rumbled, stony breath scraping against a stony throat, and he tromped forward before flinging himself into the air with a flap of his wings. Immediately, the black seaweed hanging from Dragalge wavered as its attention shifted to its assailant.

Behind that mask of rot, Riley saw its putrid bloodshot eyes tremble with fury, and he couldn't help but shudder. Well, at least we got its attention. Now, we just have to pray that this works. He unclipped another pokéball from his belt and gripped it tightly as Aerodactyl soared around the creature. "Rock Slide, Aerodactyl! Batter its head!"

Aerodactyl grunted and summoned a volley of boulders around him, then launched them at Dragalge with a flap of his colossal wings. Dragalge glared at the incoming attack, and its rotten mouth twitched, before bursting out a gleaming ray of draconic energy, shattering the boulders in midair.

Aerodactyl rocketed out of the way, but Dragalge swept its head, zeroing in on him.

Riley's eyes widened as his face became basked in an azure glow, and the Dragon Pulse streaked past him, missing him by mere inches. Despite the attack not hitting though, it still felt like the side of his face had been thrust into fire for half a second, and he grimaced.

As Aerodactyl flew away from the dread dragon, Riley clapped him on the neck. "No, get closer! Rock Slide, again!"

Aerodactyl roared and changed trajectory, slicing across the sky beside the Dragon Pulse. Riley grit his teeth and hung on for dear life as Aerodactyl swung beneath it before it could hit them, then flipped back over, and darted toward its face again. Without slowing down, Aerodacyl flung another cragged avalanche at Dragalge.