Remnants of the Great War [3]

PARAGON

Remnants of the Great War Arc [3]

Chapter 12 : Revival

___

When Ash opened his eyes, he thought he was burning. Pain, sharp and throbbing, lanced through his veins like magma, and he sucked in a breath to keep from screaming. As his eyes came into focus, he tried sitting up, but a deluge of vertigo dusted that idea instantly. A film of sweat covered his skin, and he resigned himself to taking deep breaths while his body recalibrated itself.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

As the world swam into view around him, he realized he was back at Paragon Island. This was the huge medical bay Sylvester had patched Sceptile up in, once upon a time. He was laying in bed, curtains strung up around him on all sides but in front of him.

As his vision steadied and oxygen continued to filter through his body, the pain began to subside. This time, he didn't try his luck, and simply lay in place, arms splayed at his sides while the agony slowly bled away.

The ceiling far above twisted and Ash felt his stomach turn weightless. He closed his eyes and prayed for sleep to take him again, but the pounding in his muscles refused to let him back under. Soon, the physical pain abated almost entirely, but he was left with tortuous nausea and a cold sweat that left him shivering in his hospital gown.

After what felt like hours later, he heard someone enter the room, and the shot of adrenaline that coursed through his veins at their arrival gave him just enough strength to prop himself up against the bedrest to greet them.

"Ash!"

Ash exhaled as his visitor strode past the curtains into view. Zinnia was breathless, and she wore an expression Ash had never seen on her before: worry. Without another word, she surged toward him and fell onto him. She smelled like soil and ember, and it was a welcome change from the invasive odor of chemicals that infused this room.

Ash groaned and pushed her off, her weight threatening to force whatever was left in his stomach out, though he found himself far weaker than he initially thought. She quickly scrambled off of him and put herself in a swivel chair beside his bed.

"Sorry," she mumbled.

Ash took several more deep breaths. "How...?"

"Oh, hang on a second," Zinnia said, and she got up and walked away. A minute later she came back with a glass of water. Taking her seat again, she pulled herself closer and opened her other hand. "Here, take these. Sylvester said to give them to you when you woke up."

Ash stared at the pills in Zinnia's palm before grabbing them carefully and shoving them in his mouth. He licked his lips and took a swig of water. Its coolness was refreshing, and he sighed in relief, before finishing the rest of the glass slowly.

Zinnia watched him the whole time silently. This was quite the character change for her. During the times they'd found themselves on Paragon Island at the same time during his two year training, Ash had grown accustomed to her wanton belligerence. She demanded battles from him ad nauseam, and though she was an excellent opponent, it'd gotten so bad that Ash had to start calling Sylvester ahead of time to check if she was around, and if she was, he'd go to great lengths to land on a part of the island where she wouldn't notice him. But she was wily, and eventually she'd realized what he was up to. Then it was her turn to ambush him whenever he arrived.

In other words, a silent Zinnia could hardly be called Zinnia at all.

After Ash finished his water, and handed his glass back to Zinnia and she put it on the ground. Then she looked back at him meekly, burying her hands between her thighs.