It's over

You weren't sure how long it had been. It was dark and cold. You were chained in the center, in a standing position. Your feet hurt, your wrists stung, and you felt completely drained.

There was ringing in your ears. Oh, God the ringing. It was so loud, so, so loud, it was sickening. Your mind began to play tricks on you. You thought you saw things in the dark, thought you heard voices. You wanted so desperately to get out, that every time you heard a drip or a crack or pop in the dark, you convinced yourself it was Chuuya coming to save you.

On the rare occasions the doors did open, it was almost never for you. It was often to lock somebody else down there and very rarely Mori would come down there to taunt you.

You grew lonely, and your dissolve weak. You thought of giving up, just getting out of there, getting some rest and some good quality food that wasn't just the half-eaten scraps from the offices.

Your heart tied in knots as you stood there on one particular day. This day was rougher than the others. I left you feeling broken and overwhelmed. Your mind ran crazy with "what if's" and "Why's".

"You're pathetic, f/n."

"You're worthless, the scum of the earth."

"Akutagawa was right to be embarrassed when you were assigned as his partner."

"You are worthless. WORTHLESS."

Your mind spun so hard, and so fast with Mori's words that you became nauseous, throwing up on yourself. Your despair grew by the second.

You were desperate.

The heavy door slowly creaked open, your eyes squinting through the harsh light that flooded the room. A dark figure stood, hesitating in the light at the bottom of the stairs. You stayed silent, expecting it to be Mori. You close your eyes, feeling hopeless and defenseless as the figure stood there in hesitation.

After a long moment, you opened your eyes, staring at the floor, with the flick of the light switch. It wasn't Mori. He liked to keep you in the dark, unable to see him and what he was planning or doing. You looked up to find Akutagawa crossing the room toward you.

His expression was hard to read. It was a cross of shock, disgust and pity. He quietly walked to you.

You lightly scoffed at his silence and hesitation.

"I know what you're going to say." your voice was hoarse, and barely a whisper, "I'm pathetic. I know. I couldn't even save myself, right?"

Akutagawa stopped a few steps away from you, not saying a word.

"JUST SAY IT ALREADY! STOP STARING AT ME LIKE I'M A CHARITY CASE." You screamed, "I KNOW I'M SAD. I KNOW I'M PATHETIC AND WEAK. I KNOW I'M WORTHLESS AND KNOW YOU WERE RIGHT TO BE EMBARRASSED WHEN I WAS ASSIGNED AS YOUR PARTNER."  I'M SORRY, OKAY? I'M SORRY YOU HAD TO PUT UP WITH ME. I'M SORRY I WAS ANNOYING AND DUMB AND ANGRY AND-"

You were cut off by Akutagawa's hand on your cheek, wiping the mixture of tears and blood from your face.

His eyes were stern, but lucent. They were beautiful. You wondered why you hadn't noticed it before.

His hand was warm. You couldn't help but lean into his touch.

"I'm sorry." You whispered.

Akutagawa narrowed his eyes at the bruises on your body.

"Did he do this to you?" He asked even toned.

You were taken aback for a moment before sighing.

"He hit me." Your eyes hit the floor, refusing to make contact with Akutagawa

Mori had taken advantage of you when you couldn't defend yourself. He'd left you with mental, emotional and even physical scars.  Now he wanted Akutagawa to pull you out and force you into a mission.

Akutagawa softened. In that moment he'd promised himself he'd never let anyone touch you like that again.

He undid your chains in silence.

You felt your legs give out, falling to the floor. Akutagawa caught you, snaking a gentle arm around your waist before you hit the floor. Your shoulders ached, your wrists were numb, your feet on fire. You leaned on your partner, gripping his shoulder and groaning as he gently set you down.

Akutagawa spoke softly, "I was sent down here to retrieve you. It's over, f/n." He pulled you from the floor, supporting you as you limped and stumbled out of the basement. The sunlight streaming through the large windows in the lobby stung your eyes. The air was perfumed and warm, much different from the musty cold in the basement.

People began to whisper and point. You gently pulled away from Akutagawa, feeling guilty that he had to be seen with you. Had he really been embarrassed when you were appointed his partner? Had you misread it as jealousy?

Akutagawa didn't question it. He let you walk on your own, following you to the elevator and up to your room. He was distracted, worried deep within. It seems he cared for you more than he was willing to admit. More than he knew, perhaps.

 More than he knew, perhaps