✦42✦

Sand was devouring me

I was drowning in a sea of dirt.

And I had never been a strong swimmer.

I felt hands clawing at my shoulders as if trying to grab me but when I moved in the hands direction I was bodied by another wave of sand. My lungs burned and my mouth was filled with sand as I had tried to open my mouth to breathe only to swallow a mouth full of dust.

I tried kicking my legs to see if I could stand on something solid, but I only sunk deeper into the dirt that surrounded me. And when I finally felt myself about to black out, the sand parted.

"Sol!"

Astra reached for me, her face dusted a pale brown and her eyes red. I couldn't reach out to hold her even if I tried, the sand had stuck me in the eye of a whirlpool. I was being slammed from all corners and now that I could see what was happening it only confused me more. All the building in the dome were sinking as if being buried by the planet.

Humans were trying to escape their homes only to be sunk by their falling building and the unforgiving sand. It was like a cleanse of the planet.

Once a building was a swallowed the sand began to rebuild itself, rising instead of sinking as if it were now forming buildings of its own. That was what was now happening to the sand that was around Astra and I, it was reforming and slowly the sand began to let me go. The rushing dirt beneath me became more solid until my feet were standing on solid ground once more.

We were stood on a tall spiral like building that kept extending upwards but had begun to slow down. The sand was peeling off to form patterns in the walls and the stairs we were stood on had sand rising to form its railways. And as I looked on other similar structures had begun being built as if a city arising from memory alone.

As soon as Astra was on solid ground she rushed into my arms, pulling me close. I put my arm around her, panting slightly, "What is going on?" I breathed.

"Mars is healing."

Tempest replied coming out of the open doorways of the building we were standing on. She pushed past us to continue to walk up the stairs that were still forming, taking turns subconsciously as if she'd known this building by heart. And I suppose she had.

The building we were on continued to rise but looking up I could see that was not for long, above us gleamed the shiny covering of the dome. Still projecting the visual of the sunrise whilst the real thing hid behind it. As soon as the tip of the building touched the projected yellow sun in the sky natural light began to stream through the cracks.

And then something had become apparent to me.

Tempest had not though this through.

The dome went black as its screen had been destroyed but it soon lit up with the cracks of light behind it. And then, it begun to cave into itself.