3

"ALRIGHT, LISTEN UP ——— Giants," Coach Shimura said, his voice cutting through the chatter of the locker room.

The entire team was scattered around the room, taking a break after a long, tiring day of practice. Each player had their own routine: some were icing their muscles, others were going over play strategies, and a few were simply lost in their thoughts, mentally preparing for the big game. All of them were attentively listening to Shimura.

"Tomorrow is our moment against the Swallows," the man continued, "We've worked hard all season for this. I know there's a lot of buzz around Sato, but remember, it's the whole team that will make the difference on the field. Let's give it our all and show them what we're made of. A team that wins games. Stay focused, play smart, and let's show everyone what we're made of."

I spoke up, "We need to play as a unit. No matter how good any individual player is," I swiftly glanced at Sato and back at the others, "It's our teamwork that's going to bring us victory. Let's support each other out there and keep our heads in the game."

Coach Shimura grunted in approval, "You're all dismissed. Rest up and be ready for tomorrow."

The team nodded and began to pack up their gear, the weight of tomorrow's game hanging over everyone. Almost all of the players had already left, anticipating their rest before tomorrow. As I gathered my things, I noticed Coach coming up from behind.

He leaned up against the wall from where I stood and spoke quietly, "Make sure that rookie, Tamaki, is ready for his first game. It's crucial that he feels prepared and confident. Go over the basics with him, and make sure he understands his role."

"Isn't that your job? But I'll make sure to give him a thorough rundown," I yawned, tears pricking at the corners of my eyes, "Anything else?"

He smacked my shoulder like a mother, "Quit your snark. And get some rest, kiddo. How many times do you yawn during the day?"

I managed a small, tired smile, "I guess I've lost count," I chuckled, "Go home, Coach, I got from here,"

The man went without a word.

Thankfully, Shota Tamaki was one of the players who stayed behind. I walked up to him with my [favorite color] bag hanging off my shoulder.

"Tamaki," I called out to the younger boy who was sitting on the bench with his glove. When he looked up, he looked like he was going to barf. "You good, kid?"

Being one of the most recent additions to the team, apart from Sato, Tamaki had transitioned directly from high school to playing in a professional league on a scholarship just this week. His addition was also overshadowed by the transfer of the other all-star, so it was understandable that the weight of the occasion felt even heavier for him.

Tamaki fiddled with his glove, his face pale and his hands slightly shaking. "Uh, yeah... I'm just a little nervous," he admitted.

I gave him a reassuring smile and sat down next to him, "It's totally normal to feel that way before your first game" I said to him, "Everyone gets nervous, even the veterans. The key is to channel that nervous energy into focus and excitement. It's a sign that you care and that you're ready to perform. We've been working hard for this moment, and you've been doing great in practice. This is your chance to show what you've got."

He cracked a smile that looked a bit wonky, "Thank you, manager [name]."

I nodded and patted his back, "Now go get some sleep, isn't it past your bedtime?"

The blonde-haired boy pouted slightly, "H-Hey...!" He looked slightly embarrassed but grateful. "I'm not a kid anymore, you know."

I chuckled softly. "Sure, sure. Just remember that rest is important. We've got a big day ahead of us."