9

I LET OUT ——— a yawn as I entered my office, placing my bag underneath the desk while I went ahead and sat down in my chair. I turned on my computer and started going through the day's agenda. There were a few meetings scheduled with the coaching staff, and I needed to review some reports before the game. Despite my lack of sleep, I felt a surge of energy as I focused on my tasks.

Just as I was getting into it, there was a knock on my door. "Come in," I called out, looking up to see Ken standing in the doorway, holding two cups of coffee. He was wearing a tight black shirt and navy blue jeans and his hair was messy.

"Morning," he greeted, a warm smile on his face. "Thought you might need this."

I couldn't help but smile back, to my surprise, "Oh, thanks, Ken."

He handed me one of the cups and took a seat across from me. "How are you feeling?" he asked, taking a sip from his cup.

"Better, now that I have this," I said, taking a grateful sip from the cup he handed me. "But honestly, I didn't sleep much."

Ken leaned in slightly, his eyes locking with mine. "I can see that. You look like you could use a little more rest." His voice had a teasing lilt to it.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled softly, feeling a hint of warmth from his attention, "Is it that obvious?"

Ken grinned, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "Just a little," he said, his tone playful. He leaned over the desk, his hand casually brushing a stray lock of hair away from my face. "But don't worry, you look great regardless."

I felt a flush rise to my cheeks at his touch and compliment. "We're at work, but, thank you," I said, trying to keep my composure. His gesture and the warmth in his eyes made me feel unexpectedly at ease.

Ken's eyes lingered on mine for a moment longer, and he gave a soft, playful chuckle. "I'm glad you think so. Maybe I should start bringing you coffee every morning, sweetheart."

I raised an eyebrow, amused. "Is that your way of trying to win me over?"

"Nah," he shook his head before bringing his face closer to mine. Ken's gaze held mine as he leaned in closer, his voice dropping to a softer, more intimate tone. "It's just my way of making sure you start your day with a smile."

Before I could fully process his words, his lips brushed against mine in a gentle, unexpected kiss. It was brief but tender, leaving a lingering warmth that made my heart skip a beat.

He pulled back slightly, his eyes searching mine for a reaction. "Sorry, I didn't mean to catch you off guard," he said, a hint of nervousness in his voice now.

I blinked, still feeling the softness of his kiss on my lips. I didn't say anything.

Ken looked away as he got up from his chair, "I'll be outside, Coach Shimura actually wanted to talk to me about something."

I nodded as he started to leave, my fingers clenching onto my shirt and my teeth sinking into my lower lip.

And then I got up, "Ken," I called out to him, causing him to halt before he could open the door. He turned around with a curious look as I strutted over to him.

I glanced up at him, his height towering over mine, at his eyes, and then down to his lips. Ken's eyes widened in surprise as I pulled him closer by the collar of his shirt. He didn't resist, and I could feel the tension between us intensify.

I hesitated for a moment, our faces inches apart, before finally closing the distance. Our lips met in a kiss that was both hesitant and passionate as if we were both trying to make sense of the emotions that had built up between us.