Chapter 53: Lady Spectre

The Market District of the Capital City, near a certain cafe.

"Hey! Hey! I already told you I didn't want to go there." Jazz complained to her friend, who was dragging her to a cafe she had found trending online.

"Come on, this cafe is famous!" Lily enthusiastically urged her friend.

"...and haunted! You also told me that the cafe is haunted." Her friend pessimistically completed the sentence.

"It's not haunted. That's just the theme!" Lily clarified. "The owner there is a shaman, and she would sometimes read the fortunes of her customers. Thankfully, I, your wonderful friend, set an appointment for us."

"Don't shamans use ghosts to see those fortunes? I want to go back! I am scared." Jazz begged her friend, but her pleas fell on deaf ears.

Even with the appearance of magic-like Skills and monsters, the instinctual fear of ghosts was still ingrained in people's minds. And with the use of advanced technology in making effects for horror movies, Jazz was even more scared to encounter them, running through all the worst-case scenarios in her mind.

Soon, they stopped in front of a cafe, tucked away at the corner of a small street. Its name - Café Spectre - was boldly displayed on the top in the old-fashioned Harry Potter font.

From the windows, Jazz could see the modern interior of the cafe, nothing like the gloomy thoughts she had imagined about it on the way there.

"Listen, we are here, and I have already paid an advance for the fortune reading, so let's go in for now. If you feel scared in the middle of it, I promise we will leave." Lily begged her one final time, ready to get down on her knees in broad daylight if she had to. Jazz slightly nodded her head, deciding to give the cafe a chance.

'Ting Ling Ling!' - The hanging doorbell announced their entrance as Lily and Jazz stepped inside. Since the size of the cafe was small, it gave off quite cozy vibes, like a cottage in the countryside.

The decor resembled pre-Catastrophe European inns, with dim bulbs glowing at the ends of thick ropes. In the middle, attached to the wall, was a small bar. But rather than alcohol, there seemed to be different types of coffee syrups placed in wine bottles. Surrounding the bar were a few tables arranged in an orderly manner, completing its look.

Considering it was the middle of a working day, the cafe was more or less empty, with their only customers being a group of college students who had occupied the tables at the innermost part of the cafe.

'Too bad they took the best spot of the cafe. I won't mind ordering a latte and sandwiches.' Jazz stared at them with envy.

"Welcome!" A teenager greeted them from behind the bar. His geeky looks, with the dark bags under his eyes, made him look like a ghost haunting this place. The name tag on his chest read "Rohan Claeg."

"Is that guy cosplaying to maintain the gloomy image of the cafe?" Jazz whispered to her friend.

"Nah. I think he is the owner's son." Lily whispered back, remembering the information she had read in the reviews online.

"So he can see ghosts, too?!" Jazz instantly became wary of her surroundings, ready to run away at the slightest hint of phantoms.

"Who cares!" Lily turned to the bartender/receptionist. "We have an appointment with the owner. It's under 'Lily'.

"Lily...Ah! Here it is!" Rohan quickly checked the computer, and after confirming that they had an appointment, he guided them to the upper floor. "Right this way. My mother will see you now."

Beyond the narrow flight of stone stairs, there was a single room. Dim lights illuminated the secluded space. As soon as the two girls entered the room, they could feel the temperature dropping a couple degrees.