Chapter 51: My Money

In a penthouse in the Guilds District, an angry woman with midnight-black hair and purple eyes with features defining womanly beauty was fussing over documents on her desk.

It was Liliana Laxon, the mother of Ray and Isabella, as well as the current largest shareholder of the high-ranking Aurum Guild, formerly one of the Top 5 Guilds.

Her assistant, Eli Sheen, was nervously giving her a briefing of their current situation.

"Unfortunately, none of the directors are willing to help you take the managerial rights of the Guild and name you the President." She informed her boss, crouching her head remembering Liliana's fits whenever she got bad news. Her previous assistants had warned her that giving Liliana bad news was equivalent to a trip to the hospital, and Eli had two bumps on her head as evidence of her hazardous job.

"What!? Do those ungrateful idiots even remember what I did for them? How dare they betray me like this."

"It's not that they want to betray you, but most of them are scared of the consequence of allying with someone associated with the Fallen." Eli tried her best to explain.

"Associated with the Fallen? Me? The only one who defected was that nitwit Edward. Even the Hero League let me free since they knew I was innocent."

Unfortunately, Liliana had no self-awareness about the position she was in, despite doing the same if she were in their shoes.

"I don't think the Directors care to listen to any of that..."

"AAHHH!!" Liliana screamed in anger, throwing the paperweight on her table, barely avoiding her assistant.

Eli recoiled in fear, thinking of ways to pacify her mistress' anger. "If it's any consolation, the League still hasn't released Sir Heron, considering it was his son and successor that had defected,"

She quickly came up with a somewhat reasonable argument. After all, she wouldn't have survived this long if not for her ability to swiftly make excuses.

"Of course, they should lock him up forever. That stupid Heron was the one who let his bastard of a son become the Vice-President of the Guild. If anything, they ought to have him executed. It's a wonder they are still keeping him alive."

'They ought to have executed you, too.' However, Eli tactfully buried the comment at the back of his mind.

"I don't know if this rumour is true, but some within the League are saying that it might be because of Young Master Ray that the League President decided not to execute the rest of the Laxon family."

"Huh?" Liliana looked at her assistant with a baffled look, as if she had just grown a second head. "If that useless son of mine was able to convince the Rufus Briar out of something as serious as defection to the Alliance I would have made use of him long ago."

"I am not sure, but it seems like the President has given him various privileges that you haven't received, including allowing him access to his funds. I can confirm this from my sources at the World Bank." Eli had personally verified the authenticity of the matter.

"Though it could also be because Young Master Ray and Lady Isabella have abandoned the Laxon name that the restrictions placed on them are more lenient as compared to yours."

"Ray has access to his account?" This information reminded Liliana of that huge transaction she had made days before hell descended over the Guild that she was so close to snatching away from that repulsive Heron.

She hadn't ever been more glad of a deal that she had made.

"Haha! Looks like Ray is finally becoming useful for once. Why don't we go get my money back?"