Chapter 56: Ranks and Stats

Alpha Class, Star Academy

"Now then, class, today we will be talking about Ranks and the significance of Stats!" Professor Harua announced as the students in his class settled down.

Harua Kane was a man of pre-Catastrophe Egyptian descent as well as a B+ Rank Hero. Before the academic year started, along with Ray Laxon, he had also applied for the post of Professor of Mana Theory.

However, despite Ray's lower Rank, the Academy still decided to choose him over a B+ Rank Hero like Harua. No doubt, foul play was done behind the scenes, considering he was the son of the Aurum Guild's Guildmaster.

'His knowledge regarding mana is better!' - That's the reason they gave for not hiring him.

Bah!

These kids were future Heroes. Theory wasn't going to do shit for them.

They needed to learn how to use mana in practical fights, and as a B+ Rank Hero, Harua was a better choice than the weakling Ray.

'I say it's karma that the Aurum Guild went down like it did.'

Snapping out of his thoughts, Harua turned back to his lecture.

"Now, where was I? Right- ...Awakened Ranks were established as a means of measuring one's power. When a person first Awakens, their Rank is E, and their Stats start at 1, which is slightly higher than the average person, who studies have found to be around 0.7. In rare cases, if someone has trained highly in a particular aspect, a new Awakened can have their Strength or Agility stats higher than 1."

"As an Awakened trains and increases their Stats, their Ranks increase proportionally, going from E to D, C, B, and A. Although it's just something that human scientists assume, once a person moves to S Rank, they can be said to be in the realm of demigods. Of course, making this transition is much harder than the usual rise in Ranks due to the major difference in power levels of an A+ and a S Rank."

"In our human population of one billion, there are about ten million registered Awakened—both Heroes and Villains. Among them, there are only 300 Awakened who have managed to cross over the S Rank threshold. That means you only have a 0.003% chance of ever making it among the ranks of these demigods. You should be proud to know that among our faculty, we currently have 10 S-Rank Heroes, including your own homeroom Professor, Mrs. Amore. This is the main reason why the Star Academy is said to provide the best resources and nurture the most High-Ranking Heroes as compared to the other Academies."

Hearing such words, the students felt goosebumps as they fidgeted in their seats. Although they have been told about the importance of Ranks since they were young, this was the first time they truly understood what it means to be an S Rank, a pseudo-god walking among the Humans.

Of course, to Rhian, who was once an SS+ Rank Duke, this lecture was more like his life story rather than something to be taught.

'A person who hasn't even crossed the A+ Rank barrier can never truly explain the ecstasy of power an S Rank feels.'

His fist tightened in anger, remembering once more just how low he had fallen.

As Rhian was occupied with his thoughts, one of the students raised her hand. "Professor Harua, if Professor Misa is so powerful, how come we students don't feel anything even though we stay next to her all day long?"

"That's a very good question. The reason behind this is that the transition from A to S Rank is not achieved by just increasing your Strength or Agility Stats or increasing your mana capacity. To achieve this Rank, one has to gain complete control over their mana. Once they are able to achieve this, an S Rank can suppress their own mana so that even advanced measuring technologies would read them as ordinary Unawakened civilians."