Chapter 77 - Visionary Part 1

Fleur's antics and Caius' laughter continued inside the Red Anchor for a while as they juggled drunken conversations when Lucas finally stood up and stretched.

"I think I'll go out for a quick smoke," he muttered whilst patting his pockets for his cigarette box. "Caius, don't leave till I get back. We still have to pay the tab. Oh, and make sure to keep Fleur from doing anything stupid."

"Aye aye captain," Caius replied with a flushed face and his hand up to his forehead in salute.

The air inside was stifling, the mix of sweat, alcohol, and raucous laughter pressing in on me. "I'll join you," I said, needing a moment to clear my head. "Could use some fresh air too."

We made our way outside, the chill of the evening air immediately biting at our skin. Snow fell softly, each flake catching the dim light from the street lamps, casting a serene glow over the otherwise dark street.

As groups of people continued to pass by, Lucas lit his cigarette, the small flame illuminating his face briefly before it settled into a steady glow. He took a long drag, exhaling a plume of smoke that seemed to merge with the night sky.

The noises of the night formed a strange symphony around us. The distant hum of the entertainment district, full of light and laughter, contrasted with the chaotic racket from inside the Red Anchor where Fleur and Caius were undoubtedly still going wild.

"You know, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one from the capital out here," Lucas said after a moment, his voice breaking the peaceful silence.

I glanced at him, not particularly interested but willing to listen just this once.

"I know what you're thinking," Lucas continued. "Why would someone from the capital want to move out here?"

I didn't respond, letting the silence stretch. The truth was, I didn't care much for Lucas's reasons, but I would rather be out here listening to Lucas than back inside the Red Anchor.

Lucas took another drag from his cigarette, the ember flaring briefly. "I was from Goldeen, an aristocrat too," he said, his tone almost nostalgic. "Family had good money, influence, the works. But it wasn't enough. It never is, you know? I wanted to get in good with The Legion, the other unit back up there."

Lucas then took another puff and flicked the butt out into the dark. "Things happened, and I had to leave. Now here I am, in this godforsaken place. Maybe one day huh."

It made sense. I had always thought Lucas was just some bum who smoked all day, but now I understood why he carried himself with that air of superiority. A stuck-up bastard from the capital, indeed.

Despite his arrogance and my annoyance towards him, in a way, I was similar and couldn't help but respect the fact that he wasn't giving up.

As an Arcanist in the Huntsmen unit, he was one of the best, although there weren't many of us.

I grew up more privileged than most too. A rather wealthy family too.

My father had a fairly financial position in the company he worked for and my mother didn't have to work at all because of it, meaning she could stay home and take care of me throughout my younger years.

It was an opportunity not many families had, and if Lucas had anything somewhat similar, I knew he could make it.

"Maybe," I said.

Without a word, I reached over and took one of Lucas's cigarettes. He noticed but didn't seem to mind. "Sure, go ahead then," he said with a shrug, offering me a light.